Lake Malawi 55g: How's my stocking?

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
55lm.jpg

55 gallon all male Lake Malawi hap/peacock tank. Marineland Penguin 350 and Magnum 350 filters. 50% water change once every week or two. Apologies for the crappy pic, haphazard rockscape, and algae (that darn lazy pleco hasn't eaten it like I'd hoped he would). Contains one of each, fish are 2"-6".

OB peacock
Aulonocara firefish
Aulonocara unknown (probably a hybrid)
Aulonocara stuartgranti Mdoka Flametail
Aulonocara rubescens Ruby Red
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Lemon Jake
Aulonocara sp. Lwanda
Placidochromis electra Deep water hap
Phenochilus taeniolatus Red Empress
Cyrtocara moorii Blue Dolphin
Albino bristlenose pleco

in 10g hospital:
Albino Protomelas steveni Taiwan Reef

Aggression isn't too bad for the most part. I had to move the Taiwan Reef fish shortly after I added him to the tank because the others were terrorizing him (missing scales, fins getting eaten). He's doing well in isolation now.

Open to suggestions! I'm guessing the tank is fully stocked and 55g is on the small side for these fish. There's a lot of blue in the tank... hoping some of these guys will color up more as they get older. I'm probably going to upgrade to a 75g soon since they're on sale at Petco now. I'd like to keep the same filtration and possibly add another fish - Astatotilapia calliptera, venustus, or Placidochromis sp. phenochilus Tanzania Star Sapphire.

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
OK, I figured that might be the case. It seems a bit cramped in there now and these guys still have a lot of growing to do.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, all it takes is one hyper dominant fish when they sexually mature, and even a 125 can get real small real fast.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I agree, don't waste your money on a 75 gal. Just wait a month for Petsmart's Black Friday sale. I bought a 120 long at that sale for $300 even a couple of years ago. Stand and lights included. Maybe they will have the 150 on sale this year.

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
Wow, $300 is a steal for all that. Unfortunately I need to stay with something 4' long for my living room but I may be able to fit another big (maybe not MFK big, but big to me) tank in my basement. I've got an empty 135g down there but I've already got different plans for it. I'll definitely keep the Petsmart sale in mind though, even if I go with a 75 I'll still need a stand and a light.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store