Land based shark fishing rigs?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Hey all,
I'm looking to put together a shark setup over the course of the fall/winter so I can do some sharking when the warmer months roll around next year. I already have a 12' St Croix Mojo paired with a Shimano Thunnus CI4 12000, which I use for stripers and will likely just re-rig for sharks, but I am looking for recommendations for a conventional reel that I can use in my next rig. Line capacity and castability are the two priorities. Avet reels seem to he a good option but i dont wanna spend $400-$500 on a reel if i can help it. I've read that a lot of people use Penn Senators and then kayak the bait out, but I don't have a yak so I need something that can be casted.

Does anyone have any reel recs as well as recs for a rod that can throw an 8oz sinker plus a big chunk of bait? The Mojo does well but some people report theirs breaking and I only learned of this after i got mine.

Also if anyone wants to share their setups regarding line material and strength, leader length and material, etc, that would be awesome.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
That rig sounds adequate for shark. How much flex in that mojo? I have seen the really stiff mojos break but that goes for any stiff rod. Never seen one break casting 8 oz lead though.

My surf/pier setup is a 10' tica fast action and daiwa bg-8000. Really like and recommend the daiwa. Its light for such a big reel, much lighter and smoother than the penn battle 8000 i was using before, slightly high capacity too. A lot cheaper than the shimano and i dont think its missing anything. I like shimano but they are just too pricy for me with the other options out there.

Where will you be fishing mostly?

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
That rig sounds adequate for shark. How much flex in that mojo? I have seen the really stiff mojos break but that goes for any stiff rod. Never seen one break casting 8 oz lead though.

My surf/pier setup is a 10' tica fast action and daiwa bg-8000. Really like and recommend the daiwa. Its light for such a big reel, much lighter and smoother than the penn battle 8000 i was using before, slightly high capacity too. A lot cheaper than the shimano and i dont think its missing anything. I like shimano but they are just too pricy for me with the other options out there.

Where will you be fishing mostly?
The mojo is indeed stiff, it's rated for throwing up to 16oz so should be fine for 8 & bait but the sporadic reports of these $300 rods breaking randomly just freaks me out a bit. I will have to check out the Daiwa and Tica.

I fish from the Jersey shore mostly. Occasionally the Hudson River across from Manhattan but the biggest sharks in there are dogfish that my striper setup can handle without issues.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The mojo is indeed stiff, it's rated for throwing up to 16oz so should be fine for 8 & bait but the sporadic reports of these $300 rods breaking randomly just freaks me out a bit. I will have to check out the Daiwa and Tica.

I fish from the Jersey shore mostly. Occasionally the Hudson River across from Manhattan but the biggest sharks in there are dogfish that my striper setup can handle without issues.
Yeah my dad has a few of the mojos theyre nice rods. Hes definitely snapped a few eyes off the tips but he fishes hard and often so its to be expected imo. He uses them for tog mostly.

I fish mostly on the other side of the bay from you in southern delaware.

I think the only thing different from your striper setup should be the leader and hooks. Steel is a must and for some reason shark anglers seem to prefer circle hooks, big ones.

Ive hauled in plenty of dogfish and sandsharks in the 4-6' range with my rig, but i know ive lost plenty of leaders and flattened a few hooks on what were undoubtedly big shark hits...hard to say if my gear wouldve held up with a steel leader and bigger hook.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store