Large aquariums and heaters

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
Any idea as to which heater would be best for 800 to 1000 gallons of aquarium, or how mcuh watttage would be needed. Any particular brand, and since I don't have a sump, but using two wet/dry where would be the best place to put one or two in the tank, (having stingrays being a factor)
Any ideas, advice out there?
Thanks in advance..

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
dmopar74;5155820; said:
so then you have 2 sumps, that is unless they are overhead with no water chamber.
Actually isn't there some what of a difference from a sump and a wet/dry system??? Don't sumps usually hold more water, has a type sock for filtration?
Yes I have two wet/dry full of bio balls with a trickle system of a pad to catch debrie, but never considered puting the heater inside them as there just does not seem to be enough water volum, plus it make it evaporate even quicker form the wet/dry holding tank requiring constant filling.

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
Does two 500 watt heater with controlers in each overflow box sounds like a good idea, anyone put them there before. Or would one 1000 watt be more benificial?

jtalley

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2009
Kansas City
I have always hidden in the overflow, assuming you have enough flow to really move the heat. In a 500 gallon acrylic I had just 2 250W and it was enough to keep a 10 deg differential to the house temp. In fact, when they broke it took the tank to almost 90 F....so don't get stealths :) All things being equal, 2 500W's is more redundant than one 1000W.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store