Large atabapo mysterious death, now I’m paranoid.

Swifterz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
I have been keeping Malawi haps for years, but a store near me had this large red pike and I have just been drawn to it for like the last year. Finally about a month ago I sold all my Africans and bought the pike for $120, and a spotted gar for $80. I’m not new to fish keeping. I maintain an extremely clean tank with great water parameters. I carefully acclimated them. They were the only two fish besides a couple of medium plecos... They seemed fine that night. The next morning the pike was floating. I was absolutely crushed. I had just gotten rid of all my fish for that EXACT, specific fish. The gar has done fine. Luckily the owner was very kind and gave me $120 in credit and I’ve since added a tiger Oscar, a peacock bass , and a silver arowana. All are doing great. I just can’t stop thinking about that pike, however. I know they prefer a lower pH but their tank water was mid 7’s as is mine. Was it possibly just old? It was 13”. He has a lenticulata pike about 6” for $60. I really want another atabapo, I’m just paranoid at this point about pikes in general, but perhaps I shouldn’t be?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could have been aggression and slammed into the glass. Maybe a stressed fish with swim bladder disease. Always a gamble with predatory fish.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
PH is not a factor. I know of folks with hard water that keep lents and they do fine. My Atabapo has been doing fine in a PH of 7.8 for over 5 years.

I suspect that it got spooked and slammed into the side of the tank.

If you really want to rule out water parameters, get a TDS monitor, and take a reading of your tap water vs. the LFS.

Swifterz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
PH is not a factor. I know of folks with hard water that keep lents and they do fine. My Atabapo has been doing fine in a PH of 7.8 for over 5 years.

I suspect that it got spooked and slammed into the side of the tank.

If you really want to rule out water parameters, get a TDS monitor, and take a reading of your tap water vs. the LFS.
You’re making me want that Lent now. Do they hide all the time or are they active? I only have a 125.

8” arowana
7” peacock bass
8” tiger Oscar
12” spotted gar

I know I will have to get rid of the Aro and bass if I don’t upgrade. How would a lent do with these tankmates?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Both the Atabapo and Lent do not hide when they become adults

Lent is more aggressive than an Atabapo generally.

Currently my female Atabapo pushes my male bass around, only because my bass will flare at it. My female Atabapo put my male Oscar in place.

snpydhk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2010
west palm beach, fl
YEs I love Atabapo. I too was eyeing one at my LFS a while ago. about the same size and price. I have been looking for a smaller one. One day I will come across a little guy (or gal). I recently purchased a Lenticulata. a bit shy, but he is new. I think he also just arrived at the store when I got him. So he is a bit freaked I guess. I might go and get him a friend today or tomorrow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store