Large cichlid suggestions

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
true haha
what about a nice green terror? like one of the really green ones with the thick orange borders on their fins

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
true haha
what about a nice green terror? like one of the really green ones with the thick orange borders on their fins
Not a huge fan of em... dont even know why tbh.. just never thought of owning one... either way I'm gonna wait it out till I get an upgrade of a tank or just keep the 110 for the Jack's to live in and grow old

Reactions: Jexnell and Matteus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature JDs share waters with a number of Thorichthys species , Mayaheros uropthalmus and a few others.
With uropthalmus and other larger species they often suffer, because they are not as aggressive.
Note how torn up they are in the video below, where the uropthalmus dominate.
027 zps4b102ffd
Yet in Cenotes where the JD is the only dominant cichlid, they do well
Eden2
Many of the cichlids mentioned are "in my opinion" too large or too aggressive for a 110, especially one where you care about the JDs.
Grammodes ( I have kept many) too aggressive, and any Parachromis are some of those too large and too aggressive, buttikoferi would eventually have the JDs for a snack.
The only geographically correct cichlid I would consider that is readily available would be a shoal of fire mouths, or as suggested by Gourami Swami, maybe a couple from the genus Amatitlania (convict types) .
As to red tiger motaguense, I have found them much more hyperly aggressive them managuense.

I was growing out some 2" grammodes in a 75 gal, the largest killed 5 out of 7 within a month, I moved the 2 left to a 150 where they spawned 3 times, and then the male killed the female. They are shy retiring, hiding about 80% of time (except when guarding fry), but when on the prowl can be very deadly to anything that gets in view.

Reactions: Zanzag

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
You need to wait until you get larger. Even in a 180 my old jags would smash something like a JD. If you value your JD's I wouldn't get a rtm, grammodes, istlanum, or the like.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store