Large plastic watering tanks and 55G drums. Threads and fittings?

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
I currently use 55G drums for my bio filters and use regular 2" pvc pipes goes right in the top of one bung hole ( inlet. The outlet is in the side near the top ( drilled hole with large rubber washers on each end of the fitting ) with the piping coming out of that and into the tank. THe drums are set up so they are slighty higher than the fish tanks. WOrks well but was a PITA to get them just right in terms of not leaking or the right flow. so as not to overflow.

My next thing I want to do is design or make the inlet and outlets coming from the bung holes. These are plastic drums. SO one is a standard 2" NPT I believe. So I THINK plastic PVC pipe fitting will screw right into that nice and tight right? The ohter bunghole is a larger thread size. Is it possible to get a fitting to allow regular 2" pvc to exit that bunghole ? In other words I want to put the cover and ring on the drum and have inlet anb out let comign off the top of drum. I know the outlet may have to go to a 3". OR do I drill a 3 inch outlet hole with some sort of bulk fitting?

What size threads are these large green plastic watering tanks does anyone know? Are they considered Dairy sizing? I have one that needs a plug on bottom.

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
Need more details on exactly which drum you have, unless I missed something you did not specify.

You can adapt anything to anything really...
Thanks . I DID actually find what I needed after MUCH searching. eBay of all places. LOL

Thanks. But to answer your question I have plastic barrels with 2" bungs one is a standard 2" NPT I hope, the other is 2" buttress threads. I found an adapter. I want to have an inlet and outlet on those bungs. My barrels have the removable lids with metal rings to crank it shut.
So my plan if all goes well is to have the inlet go in and up and out the other bung which will be my outlet going back into the tank.
So my sump pump is in the fish tank and will use a 2" pvc pipe going into the drum with a 45 angle to make the water 'swirl' and come out of the drum with a 3 inch outlet hole into and back into the tank. I just hope this works without popping the lid off. If not, I'll go with a 4 inch outlet.
Think I should be good with a 2" inlet and ( sort of ) a 3 inch outlet. I have to go from the 2" course threaded buttress though with an adapter to a 3" PVC . So hoping the outlet can handle the flow rate of 2000GPH.
Went to hatchery where I buy fish and eggs and he seems to think there is no problems with using a 55G for a 1500G tank with the correct media.
I discovered the snow fencing is SUPER. THat is the secret for sure for surface area. I had been experimenting with other things for 3 years.
50 ft. roll of snow fencing basically stuffed into the 55G drum. The type of fencing with wider pieces of solid material.
And I will change out 10% water in am and PM. So 20% water changes daily of fresh well water.
The hatchery I go to has tanks he says he only has 5% influx of fresh with no issues. As long as the media is correct and has good flow and turnover.

Thanks

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store