Late Night with My Tank

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I figures it’s been awhile. So I did a slight rescape by adding some Rotala and it ended up giving this weird brown algae. I removed the Rotala and then I had a hair algae outbreak. So it gave my an excuse to buy a Siamese Algale Eater and a Bristlenose Pleco. I happened to find a Blue-Eyed BN. They weren’t making any progress, so I ended up getting more. So there are 5 SAE, 3 Bamboo Shrimp, and a BEBN Pleco. And then finally there’s also a pack (7) Preacox Rainbows and 2 Yo-yo Loaches.

Funny thing about the Yo-yo Loaches was I got one for a snail outbreak. I haven’t seen it in 2-3 weeks and the outbreak seemed to worsen. I thought it was dead, so I got another one. After a week later, I found the original one swimming with the new guy.

Today I wondered why my Crypts hasn’t grown back to its full size (been through a couple melts and they always grow back). Then it dawned on me that my Dwarf Sag has been out of control. I think the Dwarf Sag was out completing the Crypt. So I ended up removing a bunch of Sag and trimmed/replant the S. Repens.

So I just made this long journal and I hoped you followed all the way through.

89261388-E760-4F8B-92C4-5031330A0F41.jpeg AFD3196A-6A5B-45B1-A2FF-D8A35D08ADEF.jpeg 8016C59E-A19F-4730-8074-6C8C3E38BE31.jpeg 284EC5F5-D4B1-4CBF-A191-D08CA0FBA638.jpeg

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Looks like you have decent water agitation, how well do the floating plants live in those conditions? Just wondering because I've been told they need very low water movement and I want them in my tank but i have a lot of flow. Good looking tank!

Reactions: tlindsey

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Looks like you have decent water agitation, how well do the floating plants live in those conditions? Just wondering because I've been told they need very low water movement and I want them in my tank but i have a lot of flow. Good looking tank!
I just added a power head a few days ago and those floating plants are extra from another tank that I was planning on removing anyways. They can survive in high flow tanks, but they won’t propagate from my experience.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Very nice Journal! Is the taller plant that has ruffled-like edges an Aponogeton? Such a cool plant the way it spirals in growth.
I have had the same issue with my crypts melting back and growing again and so on....
But, I have in my discus tank and think the temperature is just too high for them.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Very nice Journal! Is the taller plant that has ruffled-like edges an Aponogeton? Such a cool plant the way it spirals in growth.
I have had the same issue with my crypts melting back and growing again and so on....
But, I have in my discus tank and think the temperature is just too high for them.
My melt usually happens because I forget to reset the timer and the lights and CO2 usually stays on for a long period of time before I figure it out, lol! My last melt happened because I left the lights on for 72 hours.

The tall plants on the side is actually Cryptocoryane Balansae. I really like this plant, but unlike other Crypts, I feel like this plant doesn't propagate as easily and grows relatively slow, even with CO2.

Reactions: Lilyann

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Oh! Crypt Balansae- I never would have guessed. It's really a great- almost architectural plant. I am going to get some- I think I have seen it at BucePlsant. Thanks for sharing, Ben. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store