Lava rock and pebbles filled filter

Asianleful

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Florida
I was wondering if I could use lava rock on the bottom and pebbles on the top layer for filter media. It's in a 100 gallon trough, water flows from the bottom up.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Sure but maintaining it and keeping it clean mite be a challange but as far as bio filtration goes, lava rock can house bb!

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

Asianleful

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Florida
I was thinking about the maintenance issues too but for mechanical, pebbles in a skippy filter are pretty good, bog filter too. Any suggestion as to what I can put in there?

Moneypit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Wa
Do a sand and gravel filter with a air manifold in the bottom to boil it clean, here is one I made for my pond in a 100 gallon cone bottom tank. I use a 2 HP spa blower to clean it once a week.

Here you can see the air manifold I built, it acts as a support for the dog kennel grating. I have 6" of 1.5" rock, 4" of 3/4" rock 4" of pea gravel then about 6" of fine chicken grit.

Asianleful

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Florida
About 150 dollars for a new blower... I accidentally burnt out the blower on my dad's koi pond so now he rigs it with the air compressor. The male adapter is fitted onto the pvc piping and then he just plugs in the air compressor when needed I guess. Is your water flowing from the bottom up? How fast of a flow is this?

Moneypit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Wa
About 150 dollars for a new blower... I accidentally burnt out the blower on my dad's koi pond so now he rigs it with the air compressor. The male adapter is fitted onto the pvc piping and then he just plugs in the air compressor when needed I guess. Is your water flowing from the bottom up? How fast of a flow is this?
Yes it is a upflow, I am running about 3500gph. I run my total pond volume through this once an hour from my skimmer. I also have a bottom drain circuit that gravity feeds 3500gph to a 250 gallon settling chamber and then a 100 gallon moving bed filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store