Lawnmower Benny - Help ID this Sickness

r3dbullxxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
so, noticing 2 white dots on a blenny of mine, I separated and went through ick treatment...but, then the bumps got larger and had a nipple-like top and I noticed him scraping the rocks trying to get it off....and I tried a bacteria-based oil treatment, and now, it’s getting larger....both the spots are raised.

i attempted to get photos...water clarity is an issue due to airbubbles,saltwater,and the treatment oil.

i have never had a fish with a growth....was assuming it was parasite and would fall off and I’d vacuum up and thought it’d be easy in quarantine.

its been 4-5 weeks roughly...I’ve tried raising the temperature a little, over that time but didn’t want to stress him out being away from the others...

I was also considering/wondering what would happen if I tried to pull the two spots off...fast like a bandaid...i feel like 2 small raw spots healing would be better than 2 parasitic creatures eating my poor fish.

more photos at better quality ASAP...just don’t know what it is and I can’t treat it if I can’t figure it out.

thanks for your help in advance!

DFDDA9AC-4B84-4D6B-8B4D-63E95B155C71.jpeg181961E2-7D64-490D-8287-E891B753F608.jpeg577ACB78-C942-44CA-90A5-4C8CFA8270C0.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Being a virus, Lymphocystis is one of the few crossover disease that effects both fresh and salt water fish (another is VHS, viral hemorrhagic septicemia which manifests as open sores).
It is ubiquitous, sort of like the common cold in humans, always there, waiting for slightly compromised immune response, caused by any number of things such as the stress of shipping, crowding, a rise in nitrate, or drop in pH.
Being a virus, meds are basically useless, and only a improvement in water quality, or removal of some other stress factors will allow the fishes immune system to fight it off.

Reactions: kno4te

r3dbullxxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
What happens if he scrapes them off when he rubs against the rocks? He tries pretty hard so I wouldn’t be surprised!

im freaking having a stroke here!
I set up my secuity cam on the tank cuz I’m paranoid it’ll fall off and I won’t vacuum and water change fast enough and the poor guy will reinfect himself...if that is possible.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Did you not read the link that I posted in your other thread on this subject?

It's like having herpes, for a fish .......

r3dbullxxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
I did, but what I got is that it will cycle through...keep it stress free and clean.

however, when I look at the spots, it looked like they cracked open and looked like An empty barnacle...so was happy.

now, looks like they are sealing up again like a few days ago...and I am trying to understand what I am looking at.

...the ending of round 1...

the beginning of round 2?

so, yes. I read it...but having never seen this cycle thru before or seen it in person, or see anything that would be a photo documentary to compare against...to me it looks like it’s not going away nor growing...

so, wanted to get some reassurance i didn’t miss something...

my apologies if that is annoying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store