lead plant weights

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My plants all deserve the chance to die in peace, so rocks serve my purpose well. On those few occasions when a plant in one of my tanks actually survives to send out runners...well, the new plantlets are on their own and will get no help from me or my rocks.

My plants are blessed with the same sort of life that they would have in nature: only the strong survive. :)

Mark K

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
Lead in and of itself is actually close to inert. It is when it gets white and flaky that you see the issues. The oxide is actually what you are worried about. Good clean gray lead has only a minute amount of the oxide that can come off. Most of that can't even get through your skin to get into your blood supply. It is when you ingest it that you have a problem. The amount of handling you do is never going to be an issue. If you were melting it, that is another issue. You do not need to worry about the plant weights. They are not going to hurt you.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Even as a kid, with my first aquarium back in the 1960's, I was told by my father to not handle those lead strips too much because they might be dangerous...and he was no scientist. I have never used them longterm in my tanks.

I guess I am lucky to live in Canada, where we are blessed with the presence of unusual natural mineral formations known locally as "rocks". These can be found outdoors, often just lying around on the ground! In fact, I have in my back field a huge pile of these things, probably 60 feet long, 30 feet wide and 10 feet tall. They vary in size, shape and colour; local folklore insists that they were hand-collected by our pioneer forebears and artificially arranged in this odd manner for some arcane reason. Personally, I believe that this is a natural phenomenon, perhaps some sort of breeding colony.

These rocks are quite dense and heavy, and if a couple are placed on top of the substrate around the rooted stem of an aquatic plant, they serve to weight it down and protect it from digging fish. If left in the tank for long periods, the rocks have the ability to culture algae on their surfaces, which causes them to blend in with their surroundings and thus acts as a primitive form of camouflage.

For those who are cheapskates like me...or who simply prefer a natural approach over unnecessary complication ...rocks offer an extremely attractive alternative answer to a simple question. :)
I too prefer free range, wild caught, non-GMO, RBST free rocks. I do worry a out some populations being decimated by over harvesting. :ROFL:

Reactions: Backfromthedead

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I hate the lead weights because that are ugly. I remove max throw them away. It is entirely possible that with an acidic environment that they are broken down over time and could lead to a unhealthy level for the fish.
If you are trying to grow rooted plants cover the roots with substrate. May take multiple attempts but eventually the roots will take hold.

Reactions: andyroo

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
wasn't worried about the lead hurting I was worried about the effect it could have on the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store