LEAST AGGRESSIVE AFRICAN CICHLID

Savier808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2009
San Diego, CA
What are the least agressive african cichlids in your opinion?

* lets get responses in the double digits before we start arguing please :grinno:

MadBob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Austin
least aggressive in regards to conspecifics or other fish? The difference is huge.

1974Pantera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
San Carlos, Ca.
Savier808;3538777; said:
What are the least agressive african cichlids in your opinion?

* lets get responses in the double digits before we start arguing please :grinno:
That's quite a question......I wouldn't mix Africans with anything but there own kind.

Some tropheus might work but then you will have to put the rest of your tank on a veggy diet.

What do you have currently?

fishfreak69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
South Carolina
Mbuna are all mean in their own way.

Least agressive Hap's... ANY lethrinops species or Tramitochromis Intermedius

Least agressive Peacocks: Benga's, Maleri's, Ngara's are usually the most docile.

MadBob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Austin
You guys are all forgetting about tanganyikans, most of them don't even acknowledge anything that isn't potential prey, a potential predator, or a conspecific.

any of the Lamprologus, Altolamprologus, Neolamprologus, Julidochromis, and at least a dozen other genera of tanganyikans will literally ignore anything that doesn't look like them, doesn't look edible, and doesn't look like it wants to eat them, many are actually more skittish than aggressive. I would look at everything but tropheus, since their diet and needs are so specialized they really should be kept to species tanks.

If your question extends to west african cichlids there's plenty of options there too, all of the Pelvichromis and Steatocranus are very mild mannered.

badisbadis101

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2008
Houston
I think Africans can be kept with most fish, to be honest.

I keep yellow labs with Angelfish and Corydoras. I also keep brichardi in that same tank. These are all adult fish, and this arrangement has worked out for 6 months so far, with both yellow labs and angelfish spawning.

I also keep africans of all sorts with goldfish, koi, convicts, guppies, plecos, and texas cichlids outside in the summer. The pond is approximately 1000 gallons. I have had no aggresion issues whatsoever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store