Leaving your fish's lights on all night!

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Interesting thread. I turn my lights out at night and keep them on during the day, even when I'm not home. The cichlids always sleep when the lights are off and if I forget to turn them on of a morning they eventually wake up on their own. They have trained themselves to sleep when the lights go out.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
fish do sleep. they need that dark time to rest and destress. like others have stated, that much light isnt good for plants, and not healthy for the fish in the long run..

all of my tanks are set to timers- id suggest you get some, they are pretty cheap

mkman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
CA
if you work night shifts, its been researched that people that work years of night shifts lose a few years of their life. The circadian rhythm is important in humans and when you work night shifts, this puts added stress on your body. I'm not sure on fish but I'm guessing the same thing. Use a timer to turn lights off, on, etc.

Mad About Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2004
Twin Cities, MN
I always leave the room light on at night so it's never completed dark.

As for leaving the tank lights on at night, I have noticed that my fishes show more vibrant colors if I leave the lights on for three four nights straight.

Cecropia

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
US
I left the light on my pink cons tank on all the time because they were cons but I quit because it made the neverending war against cyanobacteria even more difficult.

Cecropia

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2008
US
dogofwar;3163673; said:
Why would cons need lights on all the time?
I didn't mean to imply that. I meant I didn't worry about it too much simply because they were cons and the switch on the back of the light broke. I did take note that they were far more active and aggressive with the lights on constantly during the 2 weeks the light was on. And yeah i know, cons should be treated as well as any other cichlids in some people's pinions even if i am using them as jag/FH feeders. To each his own i guess.

The BGA showed up and I just hooked the light up to the timer strip for my herps. Prob solved.

fishfarm

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Georgia
www.facebook.com
I leave the hatchery lights on about 14-18 hours a day, at least once a week I don't turn them of at all, when I go out of town, which is often, they are left on the whole time I'm gone, sometimes for weeks at a time. I bred thousands of fish a year. You also have to consider it's never completely dark in the wild, even on moon less nights there is some starlight, go fishing during a full moon,the fish are not asleep. I really don't think it matters. Ken

aussiesk8

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2008
West Coast of Scotland
Defo timers, a lot less of a hassle and a more stable/natural routine for your fish. Might get rid of the bags under their eyes too lol

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
fishfarm;3166331; said:
I leave the hatchery lights on about 14-18 hours a day, at least once a week I don't turn them of at all, when I go out of town, which is often, they are left on the whole time I'm gone, sometimes for weeks at a time. I bred thousands of fish a year. You also have to consider it's never completely dark in the wild, even on moon less nights there is some starlight, go fishing during a full moon,the fish are not asleep. I really don't think it matters. Ken
I don't know if I agree with this Ken. Light and dark cycles contribute to most animal's sense of well being. Fish that are found in waters that have sunlight penetration are probably in this group (as opposed to deep swimming fish). I think this is one reason they like to hide in plants and rocks. Its part of resting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store