LED Aquarium Lights ??

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Looking for a good light for a 90 gallon tank for African Rift lake Cichlids. Don't have any familiarity with different brands or quality of brands. The LFS keeps pushing the Fluval Planted Light 48-60 which is about $220. Seems kind of silly to fork out this much money in a tank with no plants. What do you guys use and recommend. If it was a fish room I would just use overhead lighting but this is for a living room/display tank and will need it's own light source.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know what brands are easily available to you. I have Finnex Planted+ on several tanks, and I am very happy with them. The cost to me was considerably less than what they are quoting you for the Fluvals; and I can't comment on the Fluvals as I have not seen on a tank.
Good Luck!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I also have the fluval aquasky - I’m very happy with it.
The nicrew lights are also cheap and have good reviews. If you’re not going with plants these are good options (but both are also great for planted tanks).

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Only things I’d say about the Fluvalsky are that there no in off switc, it only works through your phone, and I found that it was “barely enough” for a 28” deep tank. It’s killer on 21-24” high tanks.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Only things I’d say about the Fluvalsky are that there no in off switc, it only works through your phone, and I found that it was “barely enough” for a 28” deep tank. It’s killer on 21-24” high tanks.
Yep that on off thing is a pain. Whenever power is cut (like a blackout) you have to reset it from the app, pain if you aren’t home.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
I also have the fluval aquasky - I’m very happy with it.
The nicrew lights are also cheap and have good reviews. If you’re not going with plants these are good options (but both are also great for planted tanks).
Any issues with algae blooms with the nicrew lights? See people complaining about this in reviews. But it could also be just poor aquarium maintenance?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Any issues with algae blooms with the nicrew lights? See people complaining about this in reviews. But it could also be just poor aquarium maintenance?
I haven’t had one myself, but whenever there is a lighting increase there will be an algae bloom unless lots of plants can compete.
I had lots of algae when I first upgraded my lighting to the aquasky, and even before when I started running my tanks stock lights all day.

Reactions: aussieman57
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store