LED Strip lighting build

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Huh, I thought I'd put this build log here ages ago, apparently not! So, here it is copied from my local NZ forum...

So, I bought some cheap LED strip lights and put them into my 4ft, 400L tank.

So, a bit of a build log:

Day 1, 0 hours.

Here's the tank hood, was 6 24 watt CFLs(3 burned out) and two 4 foot fluoros(Dead)

Day 1, 1.5 hours

All the old lights pulled out, cleaned up, a bit of bleach and meths to clean up the wood. And I've started cutting wires ready to solder to the LED strips

Day 1, 2.5 hours

Pre-tinning the wires and then pressing down onto the little copper pads seems to work...HORRIBLY, These things are horrible to solder, little tiny pad and melty plastic all around it?!? Ok, well, I managed to do it, kinda ugly...But ok.

Day 1, 3.5 hours

Slowly working through all the strips, one by one and throwing them in a pile....

Day 1, 4 hours

Laying them out in the hood, piling anything convenient on top of them to keep them from rolling up...

Day 1, 4 hours

I swear, I didn't do that....

Day 1, 5 hours

All laid out, wires all joined together...

Day 1, 5 hours

Ugh...That looks horrible. I'll figure out how to tidy it up tomorrow.

Day 2

I can't be bothered with it...

Day 3

Oh, I know, I'll get some brass rods and solder the wires to it like bus bars. It will look cool! Should make expanding it easy too.

Day 4

Can't get to a place to buy the rods.

Day 5

Got them!

Day 6

AHHH, this looks even worse! I didn't consider how much heat it would take to solder to giant rods, big, ugly cold solder joints EVERYWHERE.

And I ended up pulling off half the solder pads and wires from the LED strips. I'm going to have to start this all over.

Day 7 Hour 1

Got some chocolate blocks/ screw terminals, should work a little better....

Day 7 Hour 2

Looking much more tidy now.

Day 7 Hour 4

I cut ends of the strips off, left the entire solder pad this time, should only lose a little bit of light.

New wires soldered on, went MUCH better this time. Same process, pre-tin the wires then press down on the solder pads.

Day 7 Hour 5

First set plugged in and powered up! Oops, one strip isn't working... Just didn't get the wire into the terminal before screwing it down so it came loose.

Day 7 Hour 6

The rest of the strips are wired in and powered up, I've adjusted the voltage on the power supply to 13v and it's drawing 90 watts.

Ok, 12.85 volts, the voltage dropped a little...

Day 7 Hour 7

All ready to go, I've put some liquid electrical tape where the wires are soldered to the strips, and on each of the solder pads the rest of the strips. I've put on the sides too there, so hopefully it will hold the strips down, the adhesive backing isn't the greatest.

Oh, and there are a couple LEDs in the lower right that are dead. I...Uhh....May have not noticed that strip fall on the floor at some point and then I may have stepped on it...

Day 8

Fish are happy to have some light, I think.

I turned the voltage back down to 12v, the lights are drawing 60 watts at this voltage. They look brighter than the 3, year or so old 24w CFLs, but that's not hard. It's a moderate brightness, I'd say, not really bright but good. I'm pretty happy with them. I think I'll buy more strips and add a bit more power.

The parts:

The LEDs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D83BGVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total about $25

The power supply, 150w 12v

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DECSE8G/ref=pe_2602560_239856390_em_1p_0_ti

Bought locally, $80

All the wires, screw terminals, solder etc you can find anywhere, I'm not going to link to those. A wire stripper, liquid electrical tape, odds and ends another $50 NZ

Total cost: About $155

Maybe I should have spent a little more and bought a nice LED fixture....Oh well.

A small addition...

Now the front panel of LEDs is on a switch, so it automatically turns off when I open the lid. That means I don't get blinded every time I want to feed the fish.

This was in the original plan, but ended up being dropped because I was getting impatient.

I used a screw to give some adjustment in the switch otherwise it would have been just luck if I got the switch to turn on and off correctly.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
And a recent addition:

Wow, just over a year later I got around to putting more strips in to bump the power up.

My good camera's battery is flat and I figured if I waited for it to charge it would be another year until I got around to this sooo.... You get potato pics with my phone.

Of course, as expected when buying from china, the LED strips weren't actually the same as the first batch! They're a higher color temp. And looks like higher output. Not really a problem though.

I cut up a bunch of the strips to length, soldered wires on just like before. I was lucky, I could slip the new wires right into the chocolate block alongside the old ones. Awesome!

And nicely laid down in place. The adhesive on these ones seems a little better, but I think I'm going to put some lines of hot glue across them just to hold them in place. The new strips have the leds arranged vertically, the old strips horizontal.

And it works!...Wait, one led is burned out. Oh well.

Time to do the rear set of lights...Except I can't slip the new wires into the chocolate block like before...For any of them! It's the SAME WIRES, SAME EVERYTHING! WTH is wrong with you wires?!?!

Ok, I gave up and put them along the bottom, I have a couple more strips with thinner, stiffer solid core wire that I might be able to slip in more easily I'll try eventually.

Power draw is up from 60 watts at 12.5 volts to 160.

I'm also using a modified server power supply for power, not much to see here. The PSU is rated at 450 watts, but there's a part of it that's getting hotter than I like, I don't think my hacked on fan is blowing as much air through it as it is designed for. But I'm running it at 1/3rd its rated capacity, I think I'll see if I have a heatsink laying around I can stick on the side.

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store