Legos for Wet/Dry Filter....

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
I've heard of people using Lego's for their wet/dry filters as a cheap alternative to the more expensive bioballs, but I'm curious if there are any long term effects or anything from using them? I am gonna use them for the first time in my ghetto homemade wet/dry...completely from scratch except for the 10gal Walmart tank. I shall take a photo journal! hahaha

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
They will work fine, but if you want a more effective cheap alternative, go with pot scrubbers:)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Before commercial bio-material was available there was alot of other stuff we used. Crushed lava rock was the most widely used but affected pH to the acid side. I used those green plastic toy army men that you could buy in 100 packs for a buck. Also used the barrel-o-monkeys. These, and LEGOs, have low available surface area. Your best bet for an inexpensive alternative to bio-balls is the plastic pot scrubbers, like rallysman suggests, or the plastic white or blue floor-buffer stripping pads/disks cut into pizza slice wedges.
The toys will provide less than 50sq/ft of surface area per gallon. The scrubber/stripper pads will offer ~370sq/ft of surface area per gallon. BTW, 1.5" bio-balls provide about 160sq/ft of surface area per gallon.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Can you show me a picture of what you are talkin about? Plastic Pot Scrubbers? What? I'm lost...haha...sorry...

Like this? Just leave the bristles on the brush?

brub3418.jpg

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
MMMMK!! That makes more sense!! Hahaha!! Cleaning isle I'm assuming? haha. Thankz man, I probably woulda neva thought of that. Should I just leave the Legos out or would puttin them in add some surface area? Probably not enough to justify takin up the space?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
MMMMK!! That makes more sense!! Hahaha!! Cleaning isle I'm assuming? haha. Thankz man, I probably woulda neva thought of that. Should I just leave the Legos out or would puttin them in add some surface area? Probably not enough to justify takin up the space?
I would just leave the legos out unless you want them as a conversation peice.
They cant provide nearly as much surface area as the scrubbers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store