Lent and Brycon experiment

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Goes to show you never know.....I accidentally grabbed a Brycon Dentes a few months ago for my 180G ........told it was a red tailed Cuda. From the start it hounded my Pink tailed Chalceus and as it grew began to do damage. Tail frayed....several huge scales missing. My only other tank is my 120 dominated by a female 12" Lenticulata with 3 large Barred SD and a huge Syndont cat. The Brycon is a skinny 7-8" and the Lent is a very robust 12". In the past the Lent has chased all torpedo shaped fish till death. The SD have done OK but are somewhat cowered by the Lent. '

I moved the Brycon in two weeks ago and all is great. All the fish in my 180 are happy to have it gone.....i added some cool rohani barbs and the tank is so much more active now. The 120 gallon is better than ever. The Brycon brought the Pike and SD out into the open more often and the nervous constant movements of the Brycon have calmed down despite being in the 4" tank. Go figure.IMG_0364.jpg PIKE AND BRYCON 1.jpgIMG_0362.jpg P AND B 2.jpgIMG_0359.jpg PAND B 3.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good that things are working out.I'm no pike guy and I know that it isn't but that lent kind of resmbles a snakehead.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Good that things are working out.I'm no pike guy and I know that it isn't but that lent kind of resmbles a snakehead.
The snakehead pike comparison ends at feeding time. The Pike is territorial and aggressive but not the absolute killer that is the Snakehead. i had snakeheads back in the 80's.....Much more aggressive feeders. Swallow anything and fast. The Pike is just as stunning as the more ornate SHeads but I doubt mine is going to get much bigger. She is around 11" and seems to be gaining girth sans length. More like the size of an African Sankehead and more similar in behavior as well. The larger Asian Snakehead species are monsters but do not have the looks.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Beautiful pike as well as all your fish. Sounds as if you were able to solve the issue of ongoing aggression, hopefully permanently. That male blue hook M. schomburkii is quite handsome as well, showing all kinds of red coloration. Cool stuff!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Great combo there.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com