Leopard Ctenopoma

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Awesome fish and good looking pair.I think they are a highly overlooked fish in the hobby but they are perfect in a tank....good exotic look,rarely hide,almost always moving and they usually don't bother other fish.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I agree they. They kinda look like mini dats. If anyone wants me to post about breeding let me know

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I want you to post about breeding.

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Basic breeding:

This is all from my own experience so if I make any mistakes im sorry :p

The hardest part about getting leopard ctenopoma to breed is getting a viable pair, because for the most part leopard ctenopoma would rather be alone. I found the best way to get a pair was to get like 6 babies (like 1 inch or so) and let them get used to one another and grow them up untill a pair forms. The actual breeding only takes place once the fish are fully grown in my case the male was 5.5 inches the female was closer to 6. These fish make a bubble nest at the top of the tank in a spot that is realitivly calm (away from power heads and filter outputs and such) and id reccomend you try to limit the flow to the area as much as possible. then the male will do his thing and the

THE most important step...

The most important part of getting viable offspring from the eggs is having an extremely high HUMIDITY. Because leopard ctenopoma have a labyrinth organ (the organ that enables them to breathe air from the surface) the eggs (which float on the surface) need to be subjected to really high humidity in order for this organ to develop. The best way ive found to do this is to let the water level drop about three inches and to let a couple of inches of the heater be exposed at the top and then completely cover the top and filter intake and out take in plastic wrap it sounds odd but it works :p

The fish will also defend the nest and but not the free swimming babies so id suggest removing them or giving them lots of places to hide.

Thats about it. If you have any questions on something I didnt cover feel free to ask :)

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Heres a pic of my old pair this pic was taken about a year before they did it the first time. Unfortunately the male died a couple months after the first time breeding.

uploadfromtaptalk1362199275769.jpg

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
How long does it take to grow? Is it like .5 inch a month or even less?
Mine grew like .5 inches per month (roughly) but slowed considerably after like 4 / 4.5 they were like a year and abit old when they bred the first time

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thread cleaned up and stickied.

By all means guys, continue to converse the way you have been previously. You all did nothing wrong, I cleaned up the thread simply for the benefit of anyone who comes in later trying to learn about these fish. By removing the conversational posts, the useful data is concentrated at the front of the thread and will allow for a better read for those trying to learn.

Outstanding job discussing these fish so far guys. Very good info. Keep it up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store