Leopard Ctenopoma

IceGunner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2012
Singapore
I thought I should mention their scientific name in case anyone is interested, Ctenopoma Acutirostre. I absolutely adore these fishes, they are so compatible with any fish and so interesting to observe. I have them with Arowanas, birchirs, majestic shelters, gars and they are so calm with other fishes that nothing seems to faze them. Sometimes with other predatory fishes like arowanas, they might chase or fake lunge with other inhabitants of the tank and these victims, datnoids or above mentioned fishes will panic and dart or jump around the tank. But these ctenopomas are so calm they simply move/skip aside these lunges and avoid those aggressive maneuvers.

However, I have to mention that if you are interested in keeping these wonderful fishes, you may want to keep them separately or in groups of three and more. They tend to pick on one another and if you only have 2 and they are not a mating pair, one might get victimized more than not.

In terms of feeding, I've had them when they are 1 inch big to 5-6 inches big, they eat anything and everything. Their appetite is insatiable lol. I have fed them everything from market prawns, bloodworms, floating pellets, sinking pellets and they lap up everything, young and old, doesn't matter so don't worry about their diet.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
[video=youtube;dLSlse7TyeQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLSlse7TyeQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]I got a new leopard ctenopoma, but it is from petsmart so I have a feeling it is going to bite the dust soon. It is only half an inch so I put him in a CD holder thingy to monitor eating. When should I add him to my 40 gallon, the abk is 5 inches. Also are flakes good for now.

Reactions: Hendre

IceGunner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2012
Singapore
You might want to grow him up a bit before introducing him to the abk but you'll be surprised at how the survivability of ctenopomas. To do that, you should feed him something more substantial like bloodworms or even bits of MP.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
You might want to grow him up a bit before introducing him to the abk but you'll be surprised at how the survivability of ctenopomas. To do that, you should feed him something more substantial like bloodworms or even bits of MP.
I added her to the tank already. She doing pretty good. The abk chased her for a little bit , but stop recently. She is getting fat off of cichlid pellets.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Males has spike looking things on there gill plates. I can't see them on there so I say female, but it may just be undeveloped.

E_Trajano

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2012
Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
Ok.
I read in Seriously Fish:
"Sexual Dimorphism - Not easy to sex. Males have more spines on the gill covers, and a roughly-textured area at the base of the caudal peduncle that is absent in females."
But I was a little disoriented without images for comparison. Do you have pictures of these "spines" and "roughly-textured area at the base of the caudal peduncle"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store