Leopard tortoises hatchling care?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I just bought 2 leopard tortoise hatchlings and have some questions. I followed all the online advice I could find and I’ve currently set them up in a 36X24 tortoise table with a 100W heat lamp and a 10.0 uvb full spectrum lamp. The breeder I purchased these from said to keep them on soil and play scape sand. I did some research and have them on eco earth now with sphagnum moss in and around there hide. They are eating great and seem to enjoy the enclosure I was hoping to add sand to the substrate since I’ve read on multiple sites this is beneficial for the tortoises, but I was wondering if this could cause Impaction? Could or would the calcium sand work the same or better without impaction being an issue? I have two 8 year old sulcatas I’ve raised from hatchlings as well but I was like 14 when I got those guys and forgot what it was I did with them to be honest I feel like they are lucky to still be with me. I wanna do these guys right any advice or tips on leopards? Also that substrate thing if anyone knows would be awesome to figure out.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
To avoid impacting just avoid feeding them on sand
Thanks for the advice. I got that covered, they are fed in a nice wide dish they have to crawl into eat. I’m more concerned with them doing what tortoises do and munching on things they find in there cage and eating substrate I’ve read they eat there waist as well as try to eat anything that sticks out to them on the ground.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
Could or would the calcium sand work the same or better without impaction being an issue?
I would say its arguably worse. I think I've heard of cases where animals actively eat the sand for the calcium on a bearded dragon forum.

Normal sand may work for adults, but I wouldn't chance it with hatchlings. It doesn't take much sand to cause them impaction, and they make mistakes more often than adults. Besides, leopard tortoises don't live on loose substrate naturally.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Yeah not everything I’ve read make sense but it was saying the sand mixed with cocoa fiber or even potting soil created a natural environment for them.. idk???
Anyone have a better idea? I feel like they are gonna eat the cocoa fiber would this cause an issue?

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
I don't think they'll eat coco fiber on purpose. Its pretty dry and gross. As for impaction, my bearded dragon has eaten entire chunks of fir bark as a baby and passed it through, so I think it should be fine if he eats it.

You're talking about packed down substrates. Topsoil, sand, and coco fiber mix is apparently pretty solid. I have no experience with it, but I see no problems using it.

I've used to keep a russian tortoise on fir bark with no problems. INB4 you ask what happened to him, he got eaten by bears.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I don't think they'll eat coco fiber on purpose. Its pretty dry and gross. As for impaction, my bearded dragon has eaten entire chunks of fir bark as a baby and passed it through, so I think it should be fine if he eats it.

You're talking about packed down substrates. Topsoil, sand, and coco fiber mix is apparently pretty solid. I have no experience with it, but I see no problems using it.

I've used to keep a russian tortoise on fir bark with no problems. INB4 you ask what happened to him, he got eaten by bears.
Ok I was just wondering if I should get a calcium sand to be safe it would only be about one 1/4 of my substrate and I’d like for it to be passed though if eaten on accident for whatever reason, also would you use an all organic soil? Or just go with the sand and cocoa fiber? Again if you think regular sand would be safe let me know. I just want to make sure it’s safe for hatchlings.

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
Regular sand is better than calcium sand. Both can cause impaction, and although calcium sand less so, animals might want to eat it on purpose. Its also really dusty. Go regular.

Since yer making a mix, yes, add organic soil. Top soil, if you want a bioactive substrate. Helps keep it compact, reduces dust, and lets it hold its shape better if they want to bed down

Wolf1781

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2018
Stay away from soils and other organics. Can harbor parasites and gets moldy very easily if over saturated.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Regular sand is better than calcium sand. Both can cause impaction, and although calcium sand less so, animals might want to eat it on purpose. Its also really dusty. Go regular.

Since yer making a mix, yes, add organic soil. Top soil, if you want a bioactive substrate. Helps keep it compact, reduces dust, and lets it hold its shape better if they want to bed down
Stay away from soils and other organics. Can harbor parasites and gets moldy very easily if over saturated.
Alright so should I add it or not on the soil? I’m hearing two different things now, I found a bag of play sand rinsed it out and mixed it noticed a difference in the substrate instantly. If the soil would also help make a better substrate for my tortoises I’d like to ad some. If it is beneficial and there’s s a specific brand someone can point me towards that would be awesome.
I found a plantation soil offered by Exo Terra, would this be better then common soil I could pick up elsewhere? I’d think so but I found out other info on the sand. https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-plantation-soil-brick/dp/124092

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store