Lesions and white patches

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Buddy's bichirs are doing well they seem to be responding to the meds soo far. Red streaking is gone. Hes moving the fish to a smaller tank and wants to sterilize this one along with the substrate and media with bleach.... any thoughts ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Buddy's bichirs are doing well they seem to be responding to the meds soo far. Red streaking is gone. Hes moving the fish to a smaller tank and wants to sterilize this one along with the substrate and media with bleach.... any thoughts ?
Glad to hear the polys are doing well. Can sterilize the tank with bleach. The bleach should kill everything in the media and substrate. Would be starting new again. Cycle and all.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Would you dechlorinate or just let everything air dry for a few days ?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
He's kept the fish in the tank he wants to sterilize right? And he's treated them in the same tank?
It makes no sense to bleach the tank in this case as whatever it was, is under control. Water changes and quality cycled water is key now, plus good diet. Majority of diseases are environmental and in everyone's tank pretty much. If antibiotics helped, it's some sort of common bacteria..

Bleaching is not without consequences as the most pathogenic types of bacteria do survive and start proliferating due to the lack of competition/enemies in the form of diverse micro-fauna. This is well documented for mycobacterium species which are pretty much everywhere and are indestructible.

If one then puts a fish with weak immune system, which was just additionally stressed with antibiotics, in an uncycled tank, the risk of having a relapse, or a secondary disease becomes even bigger.

I am assuming that he will keep the fish in an uncycled tank? If there's a separate mature system the fish can live in, the fist tank can be bleached for peace of mind(as that's all it is) but I'd wait for it to fully mature until I put those fish back...

Good luck to your friend.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No he has quite a few tanks and wants to nuke this one. Ive never used bleach but let everything dry out for a period of time

Reactions: Coryloach

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
In a sense, he still maybe better keeping the fish in the tank he treated them in because whatever bacteria was there, is most likely in every other of his tanks and the fish are responding in this tank right now.

Bacterial diseases are 99% environmental and attack fish with poor immune system. Bacterial diseases are often secondary to something else.
Genetics and poor stock will also play a role in the immune system quality, also age, exposure to ammonia in the past or poor water quality, other diseases like parasites that the fish may naturally harbor, etc...could all be contributors.

I am throwing my opinion and my approach out there and it's up to the individual to do what they feel right by their situation.

I have never bleached a tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx guys i'll relay the suggestions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store