Lessons learned leaving open sump for 1-2 week vacation?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I learned the hard way about leaving feeding instructions with family members years.I returned after a week to find piles of uneaten food on the bottom and gasping fish at the top!
Now I simply feed my fish well in the days leading up to departure.I also do a good water change the day before and add extra water to allow for evaporation. ....and I still worry about them the whole time I'm gone.

Reactions: Jexnell

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I learned the hard way about leaving feeding instructions with family members years.I returned after a week to find piles of uneaten food on the bottom and gasping fish at the top!
Now I simply feed my fish well in the days leading up to departure.I also do a good water change the day before and add extra water to allow for evaporation. ....and I still worry about them the whole time I'm gone.
Thanks for posting this as your new post led me to this thread. Looking at visiting brother up north and was thinking what to do.
Think I will be worrying too.....

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
One thing I'd personally advice additionally, not to do the water change right before you go in case you forget to plug something back, and especially no filter maintenance the day before in case you have not connected something or closed an external filter back up properly and it leaks...

I've happened to forget to plug a filter on numerous occasions and especially heaters...even when I thought I was being cautious.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
yes. noobs over feed. every time.
Ha. So true. Whenever I have had people feed I have put exact amount in a weekly pill case for each tank. That way there is no way the can mess things up (in theory). Though nowadays I just leave without feeding to avoid nitrate buildup.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thanks for posting this as your new post led me to this thread. Looking at visiting brother up north and was thinking what to do.
Think I will be worrying too.....
No problemo,I guess it's pretty normal for us to worry about them while we are away.

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Depending on how big the fish (and consequently their liver) is, they can go without food for 1-2 weeks. You can fatten them up a bit prior to your vacation, heavier water change schedule. Check all lines, outlets, pumps, heaters etc before you go. Cover your sump with polycarbonate, styrofoam, etc to minimize evaporation. They should be fine. You can even test how they do by not feeding them for 1-2 weeks while you are home. You'll see that they will be ok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store