Let try to Id this odd looking Flowerhorn

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Do you think at a point he had more colors, pearls Or was black ?
Quite possible. Faders tend to vary allot in colors and pattern along with being able to drastically change them over time. I got a female I bred from her parents and she's drastically different from both of em. She started out with full color and pattern, changed to pure white once she hit a full inch, at 3in she then change back an forth between the 2 color/patterns and at 4in she finally settled on an almost completely faded pink with nice pearling all over with no visable flowerline. So far she is now stuck on this color scheme since then and is now 5in, she could still change tho.

IMG_20200318_104434.jpg

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Quite possible. Faders tend to vary allot in colors and pattern along with being able to drastically change them over time. I got a female I bred from her parents and she's drastically different from both of em. She started out with full color and pattern, changed to pure white once she hit a full inch, at 3in she then change back an forth between the 2 color/patterns and at 4in she finally settled on an almost completely faded pink with nice pearling all over with no visable flowerline. So far she is now stuck on this color scheme since then and is now 5in, she could still change tho.

View attachment 1418389
How interesting we’ll I will keep my eye out and see if anymore changes in mine

You’re has seemed to of stopped on a nice look for
Now

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
How interesting we’ll I will keep my eye out and see if anymore changes in mine

You’re has seemed to of stopped on a nice look for
Now
Thanks yeah im personally hoping for a lil more red color but I'm also happy at where she's at too. Yours seems a lil bit big to change anymore but is still quite possible. He looks small compaired to the tank but I'm betting it's a pretty big tank with all them fish in it.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Thanks yeah im personally hoping for a lil more red color but I'm also happy at where she's at too. Yours seems a lil bit big to change anymore but is still quite possible. He looks small compaired to the tank but I'm betting it's a pretty big tank with all them fish in it.

Hopefully yours will get That red with age
Mines about a 3-4 inch in diameter He’s mostly round lol
Tanks a 300 8x2x2.5T
The arrows the only one who can be snippy towards new mates and he was towards the 4-5 inch GG I added the same
Day as the bonsai but like I was saying earlier no one is messing with this guy and my kkp swims with him at times but other than that everyone is getting along

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Another thought on this:
Amphilophus most often fade only the black pigment so the reds, yellows, and blues (as in red texas) still show through.

With the creamsicle pattern, the red also fades, leaving a fish with red and white that tends towards more white as they age. Fading viejas also tend to lose all the color and head towards pure white. I think there are two possibly different mechanisms for this, as the marbled fenestratus, for example, show white spots with no color even as young fish.

Your fish definitely has both amph and vieja blood, and I expect it was probably dark colored with pearls all over as a juvenile.

That's a gorgeous community tank, by the way!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store