Oct 13, 2017
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
o
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, in the last few days he started to show lethargic behavior. he comes to eat but he sits alot during the day, he never did this befor. He is in a 50L with filter and a heater.
water P are 0,0,5 , he is alone there. he also has a bit of rigged fins
we moved a few days ago and it started after that,s it might be beacuase of that but im worried beacuse it dosent get better for a few days
What do you reccomend to do? should i start a treatment?

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
You aren’t wrong- he isn’t well.

There’s an article on fish depression here: www.nytimes.com/2017/10/16/science/depressed-fish.amp.html

did you change the filter or media w/the move? Was he in the same tank before/after the move?
is it possible toxic pockets in the substrate were exposed in the move?
What do you usually feed him and on what schedule?
is he somewhere he can see his reflection-which would cause him to hurt himself?
Is it possible he was exposed in the move to anything out of the ordinary for him?
Do you have Live plants? They can help increase dissolved oxygen and help buffer the flow from the filter so it isn’t too strong.

10gallons is at least a decent size but it could still be a little small, even for a Beta as the minimum recommended size for a betta is 5gallons to start.
No one wants to live in a closet. You can survive there, but it’s hard to be happy. Frequent water changes (a really clean closet), doesn’t make up for it.

General health:

And more on Fins specifically here:
betta may also be biting his own tail. There are a lot of reasons that this could be occurring such as poor water quality, stress, or boredom. Alternatively it could be a bacterial infection, generally caused by poor water quality.

More about Bettas:

extensive list of possible illnesses and treatments

I saw this was unanswered so I hope this helps.
Maybe someone with more knowledge on bettas could give more specific information without all the links. Good luck, hope he makes it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store