Lets Get To the Bottom Of This, Got Pictures.....Help me ID it guys....

phene4grene420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
york, pa
dude peanut.....they look EXACTLY like mine. i know you saw my pictures, and they weren't that great....but yours are alot better....and i tell ya, they look EXACTLY the same as mine.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Peanut_Power - You need to organize, and create 'PikeCichlids.com' and work hard to collect a wealth of information, including a full Photo ID gallery, including Juvie pics.

I will help support you in any way that I can! Workin on those Cinctas!

Let me know!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
I'm sorry that you may have rec'd less than accurate info, guppy. No sweat. You're here on a positive note and certainly willing to participate. That's great!
I don't even know what to say about 'black-line pikes' and 'slender pikes'. I have no idea what species that refers to. No matter. Pikes species are each so unique that interbreeding is the last thing anyone has to be concerned with. Their individual breeding cues and coloration (both neutral and breeding) will enable several species of pike to inhabit same body of water with no danger of interbreeding.
In regards to last post, Cr. lepidota occur literally 2000 + miles south from Cr. alta habitat. I doubt they've met.
Cr. scotti is indeed a pike, while the facetum species mentioned is a chanchito, Cichlasoma facetum. I know they've met in the wild-I've imported both species for years from both Uruguay and Argentina. However, I'm sure they never gotten it on with each other...

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Leave it to Rapps to get things straight! LOL! I was about ready to jump on that hybrid thing, but you beat me too it, and I do believe you carry more authority...lol...since you actually see and export many types of pikes. How are the 'atabapos' doin by the way?! So envious of that. BTW...I wasn't tryin to diss you or say that you would intentionally send out a fish that you knew was another fish. I know you are better than that. I also know that Crenicichla strigata, marmorata, 'sp. venezuela', and lenticulata all look annoyingly so simlilar. Can be a pain tellin them apart and I can easily see at the size that the ones I got how it would be easy to mistake them or misidentify them. So there are no hard feelins on my part. As long as they aren't 'sp. venezuela' I am more than happy with them!! :D Once again, totally awesome quality of fish! :D Could you do me a favor and post a couple pictures of that 'atabapos'...just so i can drool over them some more. Awesome pikes!! :D

SteveL91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2005
NJ
Based on the photos I have available (Aqualog 1), the most likely candidates seem to be C. strigata and C. sp. "Venezuela." I really doubt they're C. marmorata, but I'm no expert.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Yeah, strigata was my most likely guess. I have better pictures that I am gonna start in another thread. I got them from Rapps and he says that they aren't 'sp. venezuela'...so we can rule that out.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hy guys, I've got a red face here. I looked a bit deeper at the references I surfed yesterday, the facetum-scotti mix was part of a proposal put forward by a student and was to involve a gene splice, doubt it was ever carried forward. The alta-guyana and guyana-lepidota mixes were in a private web listing with no affiliations listed and were supposedly accomplished large tanks with the aid of hormone treatments. The others were as I stated, listed as unconfirmed. Trust me on this, I would much rather accept information from someone in the position to know first hand. I will disregard previously recieved erroneous info.

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Peanut_Power,
Greart pikes!
I am new to mfk. and cannot PM you beacause I don't have 5 posts yet. So, I am inviting you, and everybody else of course to read my "pike fanatic overnight" post at the "introduce yourself" forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store