Lets play a game - How many snails are in Shadows tank?

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
FW puffers are also toxic?
Amazons are a whole load of work on their own…
Schoutodini come from the same spot as dels, so if I had to pick a puffer that’s the one I’d go with. But mixing puffs and bichirs probably isn’t the best idea (nobody wants their poly getting a nice toxic meal).
Most loaches eat snails, but do have barbs that can get caught in sparky’s throat.
I’d say assassin snails are your best bet. They do as their name implies.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
FW puffers are also toxic?
Most are, but I just did some research and it seems like they lose their toxicity in captivity due to not having the proper foods (which they synthesize toxin from) available. Same probably stands to reason in saltwater.
Most have TTX, but amazons (and I think psicattus) have saxotoxin. The marine northern puffer is completely non toxic.
Either way I wouldn’t want to risk it, or risk the bichir choking on a puffed puffer.

Reactions: Krismo962

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
It’s been my experience with bladder snails/pond snails that their populations will self regulate.
If there is an abundance of food for them like lots of algae, leftovers from fish food etc. then their population will increase.
The best way to keep them in check is regular tank maintenance and physical removal.
Put out a slice of zucchini and once they are feeding just remove it.
I keep a tank full of the little guys as a treat for some of the fish I keep that eat them.

Some people hate them, I’ve found them to not really be a problem, plus they are great little cleaners, and good at taking advantage of a food source if one is present.

Reactions: Doug B and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store