Life Expectancy of FlowerHorns?

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
CentralMayhem said:
i wanna know why it would be less than the regular oscar or midas that can live for like 15yrs or so. seems reasonable i just dont know why???? anyone with a scientific explanation here?? i dont wanna hear its because inbred genetics unless its the truth. hahahah. someone lets us know. who knows an ichthyologist?

its probably due to crossbreeding.. they are extremely crossbred that the normal cichlasoma life expectancy was thrown out the window.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
but why???? hahahah i know im a pain in the ass. i just want to know what two chromosomes cancelled each other out or what not. know what im tryin to say. i just dont see why cross breeding shortened their life. it doesnt shorten other animals lifes. we have all sorts of hybrid dogs and cats out there dont we??

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
I cant give you concrete answers myself CM. Thats why i posted this to find out more.
But i know that certain cross bred animals are sometimes afflicted with conditions and diseases not regularly found in regular strains. Maybe that has got something to do with the shorter life expectancy.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
VERY TRUE!!!!! i didnt think of all the show breeds that have hip dysplasia and alopecia problems. just skipped my thoughts i guess, but i still would like a detailed explanation and maybe a lesson in genetic engineering. hahahahahah

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
CentralMayhem said:
VERY TRUE!!!!! i didnt think of all the show breeds that have hip dysplasia and alopecia problems. just skipped my thoughts i guess, but i still would like a detailed explanation and maybe a lesson in genetic engineering. hahahahahah

Yeah i would love that too. Lets just bump this thread once in a while and well have an explanation soon enough. Ill try to research it too.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
i think the lifespan of a flowerhorn is bs

how could it be 5 years?

what the hell does it die of?

old age? i think not

if my FH can resist every disease that my other fish have caught while he was in their id say he's guna live a long ass time

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
heh

If that is true I only have 3 years left with mine.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
DeLgAdO said:
i think the lifespan of a flowerhorn is bs

how could it be 5 years?

what the hell does it die of?

old age? i think not

if my FH can resist every disease that my other fish have caught while he was in their id say he's guna live a long ass time

If that is its average lifespan then it will just die of old age. Just like neon tetras will die after mos and Oscars can reach , 10 year or more, it depends on genetics. BTW , what was discussed up there is not fact, just hearsay.

Time will tell since a lot of us do keep flowerhorns right now but not long enough to observe its life expectancy . Ive kept mine for a year or 2 before selling it off. One died after a year and a half. It was around15 inches so it couldve been 3-5 when it died.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store