Light Question

sizors

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Orlando / Casselberry FL
Gprime;4543779; said:
What's your budget like? if you're looking for a permanent replacement i would go with

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...es/sunlight-supply-tek-light-t5-fixtures.html

i've read tek lights are really reliable and that's what i plan on getting for my 120g tank.
yea, I think the tek lights are a little bit out of my budget. I was trying to keep it at $200. That is why I was looking at the fishneedit and the wavepoint lights.

FLESHY;4545085; said:
Thanks for the suggestion, and I started to look into them. So far, I have been reading that people had problems with the odyssea lights. I mostly read that their bulbs were pretty much useless and that you needed to get new ones right away and on top of that several have said they were fire hazards. I dont think I am willing to take that kind of risk.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
The old ones were. I have run...three different fixtures of theirs, and since those incidents happened, nothing bad has happened.

Two of my friends run exclusively these lights 7 tanks combined, and I know another guy that runs one reef with them.

No fires...one guy ran his MH fixture for almost 2 years without its fan and didnt even have an issue. I think you would be fine, but tahts a personal decision I guess.

sizors

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Orlando / Casselberry FL
Were the lights you and your friends have T5s or MHs? From what I read, it looks like it was a problem with a bad ballast, but I guess they have newer ones now.

BradT85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2009
Illinois
I have a 4 bulb 4 foot T5HO from fishneedit on my 72. So far I have no complaints and they have awesome customer service. They seem well made and the shipping was very nice. You can see my "Getting the 72 going" thread for pics of the lights on.

sizors

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Orlando / Casselberry FL
So I have decided to go with the Fishneedit light over the other options. They look to be the best quality for my price range. I am sure I will come back to this after a few months of use and give it a little review.

STXman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2010
lake forest,ca
i got a double halide and a t5 and led lights for my 75 gal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store