Lighter rocks for aquascaping?

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
I was wondering if anyone knows of a type of rock that's a little lighter in weight (much like lava rock) that can be used for hardscaping?

I've been wanting to get a larger sized river rock type of stone but the ones I've seen are super heavy, and I dont think I'd be comfortable resting on my tank.

What do you guys use?

TheNonEuclidean

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2016
SC
Doesnt exactly answer your question but for heavy objects I put a plastic egg crate light diffuser on the bottom under the sand. The idea was it wouldn't let the rocks be in only one point of contact with the bottom. Then I got rid of all the rocks...

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
I tried this once, but the problem I had is that I found myself battling with my fish because they would keep digging pits until they exposed the egg crate.

I lost that battle... lol

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I was wondering if anyone knows of a type of rock that's a little lighter in weight (much like lava rock) that can be used for hardscaping?

I've been wanting to get a larger sized river rock type of stone but the ones I've seen are super heavy, and I dont think I'd be comfortable resting on my tank.

What do you guys use?
I got some ohko stone to try out in my latest tank redesign. Sometimes called dragon rock, its porous and has a scaly look and is lighter than most harder rocks. Chemically inert in water as well. I believe its some kind of petrified wood but could be mistaken.

20190610_062627.jpg

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand

What do you guys use?
How about pumice? I've had a football sized piece in my tank for about a decade, and it's pretty easy to find smaller pieces around here.

Reactions: SwampFins

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
How about pumice? I've had a football sized piece in my tank for about a decade, and it's pretty easy to find smaller pieces around here.
Ahhh something like that would be great, I did not know they came in larger sizes like that.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I know you can buy pumice for removing calluses and in construction we use it for cleaning rust off porcelain. It's abrasive.
Is this pumice you are talking about abrasive?

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
I know you can buy pumice for removing calluses and in construction we use it for cleaning rust off porcelain. It's abrasive.
Is this pumice you are talking about abrasive?
Good question, also sounds like this might be good bio media if so.

I tried to look online but I couldn't find anything larger than a softball

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store