Lighting Question?

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
I think you would have a .0000000000000000000001 % chance of having a reef with just an LED lighting.. You need either, (power compacts, metal halide, T5, T8, VHO) in my opinion

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
the spectrum that a reef requires is much higher then what that lite would put out..it's doesn't pay to try and save a little money when having a reef do it right the first, the out of pocket money is very high to start and only gets higher if things die

Matty1124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Ohio
thanks any help/advice is great... im planing on making a small salt water tank (first one) and i really dont know that much about lighting for them... but im learning and reading... its a slow process

EDIT: wow those were some fast responces

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
FishSkins;606310; said:
the spectrum that a reef requires is much higher then what that lite would put out..it's doesn't pay to try and save a little money when having a reef do it right the first, the out of pocket money is very high to start and only gets higher if things die
EXACTLY!

How many gallons u settin up again?? U should be spending well over 200$ for a new light for SW ttanks. the lighting is just as much as a tunk full of corals are. well that might be a slight exaggeration, but i was looking at a 48" light the other day and it was 1200$YIKKKES

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Matty1124;606314; said:
thanks any help/advice is great... im planing on making a small salt water tank (first one) and i really dont know that much about lighting for them... but im learning and reading... its a slow process

tru that, ive been researching for 3 years so far, i got the fish down, the skimming and filters down but the lighting im still learning too, and im learning about the corals now too

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
Matty1124;606314; said:

EDIT: wow those were some fast responces
my friend there are some really great books out there use them :).. there is one i have in mind . i think it's call The reef keepers Manuel it a low cost paperback with lots of great info

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
FishSkins;606322; said:
my friend there are some really great books out there use them :).. there is one i have in mind . i think it's call The reef keepers Manuel it a low cost paperback with lots of great info
books are great, i got a bunch, but nothing is more diverse and nothing is cheaper then the internet!!!

And yes Were FAST

Matty1124

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Ohio
its only a 10g, but im doing a build in refuge in the tank design at this link
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47539

Im not going to be getting any tough to keep corals or anything... i want to set it up with sand and live rock and see how it goes for a while might get a shrimp and some hermits... but in the future when i have more money i would like to be able to up grade to some MH lights... so for now i think ill just stick with CF and a moon light

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
thats true it's the super highway to life .... i my self dig the new style of halide with the atnic
bulbs all built in the slender design... but i don't dig the price..so i use older style halide hoods and added the atnic... lol as long as you don't listen to um Tehil or however you spell his name u'll probably be alright after all he want is your money

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store