Lima shovel nose catfish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not much to know. Will get about 12inches in length. Gotta keep fish that can’t be swallowed. Should eat prepared foods and most foods offered. Can be kept in groups and will hover vertically in groups which is cool.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have never kept it but have eaten it a few times in Lima restaurant. It's one of the best tasting fish and popular in restaurant menu known as Doncella in Spanish. They are farm raised there and can reached 5 ft, but aquarium varity may be smaller.

Reactions: tlindsey

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Love these cats, mine are whatever I put in with him live, frozen, scraps from dinner, etc. but left the other fish alone that were to big to swallow

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Not much to know. Will get about 12inches in length. Can be kept in groups and will hover vertically in groups which is cool.
Can actually get as big as 24" depending on the specie and I agree with keeping them in groups as opposed to solitary like other shovelnose catfish generally prefer. They are more skittish and prefer to hunt in schools.

It's one of the best tasting fish and popular in restaurant menu known as Doncella in Spanish. They are farm raised there and can reached 5 ft, but aquarium variety may be smaller.
You're confusing Lima Shovelnose and Tiger Shovelnose. The latter is the farm raised catfish specie for food production in various parts of South America. Occasionally we can get Tiger Shovelnose meat here in the states as well, I've seen it at Central Market for their Brazil festival of foods before.

Viktor nailed it. Lots of good reading there.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
You're confusing Lima Shovelnose and Tiger Shovelnose. The latter is the farm raised catfish specie for food production in various parts of South America. Occasionally we can get Tiger Shovelnose meat here in the states as well, I've seen it at Central Market for their Brazil festival of foods before.

Viktor nailed it. Lots of good reading there.
Tiger shovelnose is also commonly kept in aquairum, known as Tigrinis. But there are different species or strains of Tigrinis.

I never know that there are indigenous shovelnose species in Lima as shovelnose is an Amazon species. Lima is located in the Pacific side of the Andes.

I never know you can buy shovelnose fillet in US. What name does it come under and where can you buy them.

The most common catfish fillet in US is Mekong giant catfish imported from SE Asia under the name Swai. It's good tasting white meat with flaky texture similar to Doncella.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Tiger shovelnose is also commonly kept in aquairum, known as Tigrinis.
***TSN are the 8-9 described catfish species in the genus Pseudoplatystoma. Tigrinus is a common name for Brachyplatystoma tigrinum, that used to be called Merodontis tigrinus, hence the name stuck. It's a fish from a genus different from TSN.

But there are different species or strains of Tigrinis.
***Now Brachyplatystoma genus has also about half a dozen species.

I never know that there are indigenous shovelnose species in Lima as shovelnose is an Amazon species. Lima is located in the Pacific side of the Andes.
***I don't know the origin of the specifier "lima" in the name of the catfish Sorubim lima, but regardless of that, a name doesn't always imply where the fish is from. Sorubim is a genus of catfish collectively referred to as just shovelnose or common shovelnose, and lima shovelnose or LSN is mostly sold in the hobby, although we suspect most of them are actually Sorubim elongatus, but this is beyond the scope of current discussion.

I never know you can buy shovelnose fillet in US. What name does it come under and where can you buy them.
***I didn't know either. Trent surprised me but the fact that it is an ethnic food, it seems, makes sense. No widespread availability / popularity.

The most common catfish fillet in US is Mekong giant catfish imported from SE Asia under the name Swai. It's good tasting white meat with flaky texture similar to Doncella.
***Do correct me if I am wrong, but I've read that swai is the iridescent shark catfish meat, Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, not gigas aka MGC or Mekong Giant Catfish. It says so on some packages of swai too. People appear to struggle to ward off complete extinction of the MGC both in the wild and in farming operations. Hardly would MGC be available as a food fish. It may be. I am just thinking aloud. Or its hybrid is.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I think you’re right. Swai is not MGC, but a close relative of the same genus from Mekong. I’m a catfish eater, not keeper. Food fish is often mis ID, and farm raised fish are often hybrid. I know that farm raised tilapia and striped bass are hybrid, so there is possibility that Swai is hybrid of MGC, and so is Doncella.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store