Lima shovelnose cat with red belly piranha???

Brad.croft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
Would I be able to get away with a pair of the cats and exodons?

My heart is set on this cat haha, and I am willing to completely trash ideas to be able to keep them safely and healthy it's that body shape and size I love.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
The exodons or bucktoothed tetras, would only grow to 3-4" so would only be safe with a small lima shovelnose for maybe 6 months or so. And noting that the shovelnose will reach 18" and could even get to 24" then they would become a nightime snack for one or two shovelnose. Whilst apocalypse are quite slow swimmers, don't spook one in a 6, 8 or 10 ft tank. They are lightning fast and can do themselves proper damage at the end glass. That said, a decent sized tank with appropriate branches would look smart with two lima as they are also a shoaling cat.

Brad.croft

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2018
I see... how would a shoal of 5 or so Ctenolucius hujeta with a pair of lima and maybe a pair of oscar?

Side note: would a royal pleco and the cats be okay together? I know my plecos very well as they have been a major part of my hobby, I've had some mean royals before, and some brutal slime coat eating

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Oscars would be fine, many plecs would be fine including L114, cactus plecs, royal plecs, etc, all can hold their own in a medium size catfish tank and all would look well. Lima shovelnose don't generally inhabit pipes and caves like many catfish as they prefer to "hang" parallel to branches etc. So don't compete for plec caves much.
As for the hujeta gar (as I know it) I can't give any advice as it is one fish i have had no experience of. Think you would just need to ensure the hujeta were always too big to be eaten. Seem a good choice though.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Lima is a good choice, could have more than one too. If you want a bit of action from a medium sized good looking catfish, see if you can get hold of a "bolt catfish" , aguarunichthys torosus, make great pets, can be hand fed and are active, especially if you put a powerhead front to back with air intake, they love it.
Think you need to look at the wimple piranha idea, from the little i know of them they survive by eating fins and scales off other fish - I could be wrong but I think deadliestviper7 is talking about leaving out the lima not keeping them all together.
Wimples do that in nature, but quickly stop in aquariums (provided you get a younger wimple)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store