Lima versus elongatus ID thread

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I transferred three 1.5ft pima from 240 gal to 1800 gal late at night, usually a bad idea but pima left me no choice, I thought they'd kill themselves. Right after the transfer, the 1.5ft Sorubim lima catfish were trying to take the equal size pimas in the mouth tail first, unsuccessfully of course. So I thought the lima wouldn't try again and went to bed. But the next morning there was visible tatter especially on the top of the caudal fins on all 3 arapaima. Looks like lima kept trying more than once.I transferred the 3 pima from 240 gal to 1800 gal late at night, usually a bad idea but pima left me no choice, I thought they'd kill themselves. Right after the transfer, the 1.5ft Sorubim lima catfish were trying to take the equal size pimas in the mouth tail first, unsuccessfully of course. So I thought the lima wouldn't try again and went to bed. But the next morning there was visible tatter especially on the top of the caudal fins on all 3 arapaima. Looks like lima kept trying more than once. Spawning season, I guess. Gotta bulk up.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's a bad idea to shuffle fish in the beginning of the warm season, when many fish are preparing for courtship and spawning. I wanted to give our ~15" Taiwan mahseer a bigger and safer home. The bigger I did, the safer not so much. The predators taste scared new tank mate and even though they cannot prey on it because of comparable size, they still try, namely three 1.5ft lima shovelnose, 2ft dorado catfish, a little bit from black ear shark catfish and even Aral barbel:

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store