lionfish

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
Im planning on putting a volitan lionfish in a sw tank i have by itself, wat do u guys think? How long can i keep him in there. i keep seeing different info on them so i want to get another opinion. some say you need at least a 30 and some say 200+ but i dont have the money for a tank that big yet. Eventually i will get a 200gal+ tank but not for about 2 years. wat do u guys think?

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
baracuda;507181; said:
Im planning on putting a volitan lionfish in a sw tank i have by itself, wat do u guys think? How long can i keep him in there. i keep seeing different info on them so i want to get another opinion. some say you need at least a 30 and some say 200+ but i dont have the money for a tank that big yet. Eventually i will get a 200gal+ tank but not for about 2 years. wat do u guys think?
Think you were better off buying my puffer:ROFL: :ROFL: j/k

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
A 30 will house one of the smaller lions. But, is way too small for Pterois volitans. This species grows to 15" long and can have a fin spread around two feet wide. With the fins at relaxed positions, the height of a volitans can equal the length of the body (secondary pectoral rays to tip of the dorsal spines). IMO, anything less than a 75gal to grow out a volitan is a waste of its spectacular appearance. I've seen volitans raised in small tanks. Their fins were stunted (no doubt from questionable water quality for a heavy eater in a small tank). The rays were also bent with the tips rubbed bare of fin membrance and skin layer (loss of color pigment cells associated with skin loss) from constant rubbing against the glass.
An ideal tank for a volitan would be a "minimum" 60" x 36" x 30" (280gals) to allow a showpiece single adult volitan enough room to maneuver its spectacular finnage for a truely awesome centerpiece display tank. Anything less detracts from the appeal that drew you to them in the first place.

vicedretard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
in the river
im gunna say 100gal the reason i say that is my friend kept on in his 75 and it lasted only a few months. it had all sorts of problems...it couldnt turn easily because of how long the fins were. he looked like he became depressed and didnt have enough room to swim or turn and he ended up just floating in one spot for most of the day...only time we could get him to move was feeding. make sure you feed it saltwater feeders...i recommend trying to buy actual aquarium fish to feed hime...they need a variety and feeders dont provide the nutrition a volitan needs...you need to feed them a well rounded diet. anyways the volitan my freind kept was already 10" so if yours is smaller then that you can do the 75 but not for long. thats my 2cents on the issue from a slight past expeirence. GOOD LUCK they are beautiful fish.

Morgs202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Australia
I would agree with oddball. At the least, I would go a 60x24x24 while you organised someting bigger, as volitans do get huge! They also grow really fast. Alternatively, both radiata and antennata lions are stuning fish that get nowhere near the size of a volitans. BTW, you should check out the pic of the bearded ghoul I posted in this forum a few days back, as you seem to be interesyted in these types of fishj. (good taste that, btw!)

SteveO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2005
PGH
I bought my volitan at 3" long 6" across... in a 46 bowfront.... 7 months, its almost as wide as the tank from fin tip to fin tip. Granted his body is only 6" long, the fins are way way wider than the fish is long. He's being transplanted to a 180 when I feel he's ready for the fight of the bigger fish. Overall one would need at least a 180 for the first 2 years, and thats without power feeding the little monster. In the end I'd say about 9-10'L X 3-4'W X 3'H. THEY GET HUGE. I wouldnt even attempt the 30g, he'll out grow that in a very very short time without powerfeeding.

Max

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2006
tn
Hi,
I know the site is called monster fish keepers but, you'd probably have a lot more long term luck with a Dendrochirus brachypterus. They don't get really all that big and that tank should be large enough for it if you don't over stock. In my experience it's a pretty bad idea to buy a fish that needs a bigger tank than you have ready to go . I'd much rather my tank look 1/2 empty for a while than have over stocking issues . Good water quality is key to keeping healthy marine fish.
hth

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store