Little earthquake, little leak.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Its amazing the little things we take for granted in this hobby is something so precious over there...

Great job getting the tank up and running and hopefully no more problems once everything is fixed...

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The plants look awesome
Thanks, its been haphazard, because the only light is early morning, and late afternoon sun (no artificial at all).
And because all the fish were wild caught here in Panama, many carried an ick parasite or two, ,or something else, so my preferred treatment was to blend 18 gallons of sea water with the fresh, bringing salinity up to 3.0-3.5 ppt salinity. This eradicated the ick, but some adult parasites such as Lernea, had to be physically removed with a tweezers, with the salinity preventing Lernae young from surviving.
More plants didn't make it thru the salt treatment regime, or light period than did.
Wild Hydrocotyl and Ipomea I pulled from Lake Gatun, and a LFS Anbius perished. The Gatun floating Hyacinth and Salvinia couldn't handle the couple hours of mid day shade.
The LFS Val, and Gatun lake Hydrilla have worked the best, and a LFS Amazon sword melted during the high salinity, but seems to be bouncing back (lower right) with the soft rain water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I usually take phots in the morning, I like that light best, but here's an afternoon shot, where the light on the Hydrilla side of the tank is most intense.
fullsizeoutput_1918.jpeg
The islands water plant has still not been repaired, with only rain water available, water depth has dropped considerably in the tank, so much so,that the sumps are no longer operational, so the 180 is now probably only a 125.
fullsizeoutput_1918.jpeg

IMG_2144.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: MrsE88

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Islandguy11
What island are you on?
As the afternoon wore on, and more drinks were poured, death by tsunami, or falling into an abyss became the popular topic. The Dutch couple live up on the hill, and I only 50 yards from the beach, so I gave them my Email list, noting I will probably be one of the fist to go.
View attachment 1365205
Such a beautiful view, is this your garden, what a lovely sight to behold

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The clamps have become a permanent fixture on the tank, so after a storm the other night it was easy to pick up some Epiphytes dislodged from the trees on the beach. Hope as (if) they grow they may help camouflage the clamps.
fullsizeoutput_1963.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store