Live Fish As Food - Nutritional Value & Concerns

Jmanrow503

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2021
I was guilty of this myself back in the late 90's.

Most feed pellets.
Hopefully, we all learn from our mistakes. Ask questions, join a forum, join an aquarium club, if you can. Over time we learn to recognize misinformation, and there's a lot of it around!

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow based on ur other thread, read this, it would be extremely useful to you.

feeders would always be top notch ?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Best practice I believe would be to breed your own feeder fish & gut load them with spirulina. Nutritious and parasite free. I also feed red wrigglers. Big fish love them.

King Pisces

Feeder Fish
May 14, 2023
I bought all my fish from 1-2" and started all on flakes and pellets. Whenever I switch to live I have notice quick grow

RadiantSpy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2023
Feeder fish like goldfish might be an attractive choice for some marine predators, but the nutritional consequences are significant. High saturated fats in freshwater fish can lead to fatty liver disease and other issues in marine fish. Freshwater crayfish and ghost shrimp may offer a better, more balanced alternative to maintain the health of your marine pets over time

loneshark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
how about feeding my oscar guppies after quarantining them for 2 weeks with salt and feeding them general cure medicated food for internal parasites?

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I don't think guppies have great nutritional value. You can feed an oscar quite easily without live food.

I feed my obligate predators with tilapia fry, but I treat them with levamisole first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store