Live Fish As Food - Nutritional Value & Concerns

AlG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2016
Kona Hawaii
Poor oddball amazing how many people will ask the same questions in the same threads.... I'm new to social media though so maybe not...Great beginning post, and your a scholar and a gentleman for sticking it out

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Warlord Renegade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2016
I have 5 rosy red minnows in the tank with my baby oscar, I figure he will hunt and gobble them when he gets big enough

Mario DeLuca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2016
guelph
I currently have a northern pike (my son foul hooked it and it became a pet since my kids wouldn't let me release it again, was about 5 inches and is now 19 inches)
Also in the tank are a 19.5 inch redtailed catfish and a 9 inch oscar (going by length on them all)
I have been feeding them a variety of wild minnows, frogs, mice, bugs, crayfish and worms.
I keep extra tanks to house all their food as i have found issues myself in the past with goldfish and other store bought feeders.
What i am wondering though is if there is a way to quantify perhaps the best regiment of feeders from my list of self caught stuff that will maybe enhance their nutritional intake? Or is just simply having the variety of different things sufficient enough to maintain a healthy balance for them?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

sarboih

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Jakarta
I am occasionally changing feeders for my fishes, they are:

- clarias
- tillapia
- gourami
- ghost shrimp
- goldfish
- platies
- mealworm

Is this good enough variation for their diet?

newworldcichness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2016
not so,

some fish feed exclusively on other fish and will accept nothing else

such as the payara and the south american leaf fish
Yes just purchased a golden kelbie peacock bass will not touch anything unless its a live fish ive tried everything live and dead

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yes just purchased a golden kelbie peacock bass will not touch anything unless its a live fish ive tried everything live and dead
I've got them on dead and eventually cut fish by tying fishing line loosely around the dead feeder. Then bouncing it around the tank. Tie it loose so it comes free when struck.

Works better with toothy predators. But works for gulpers like peacock bass too.

Worth a try

newworldcichness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2016
I've got them on dead and eventually cut fish by tying fishing line loosely around the dead feeder. Then bouncing it around the tank. Tie it loose so it comes free when struck.

Works better with toothy predators. But works for gulpers like peacock bass too.

Worth a try
yea i suppose i could try a slip not with fine test fishing line sometimes they get less picky as they get older yea he pretty much jumps and trys to eat anything that makes a sudden movement ill try thats one less tank to run

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
If you just got the fish give it some time. once it fattens and grows and you can fast to increase hunger it will try more stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store