E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Ambervikings91;4833322; said:
nothing wrong with feeding em live foods, its a kind of fun treat
actually there are plenty of things wrong with feeding live foods, particularly parasites and to a lesser extent bacterial disease. feeding as a treat is usually ok, but can still carry the same risks. a consistent diet of feeders is generally not recommended, and if you are going to use feeders, quarantining and gut-loading them is highly suggested.

and yes, this is a seriously old thread, but i guess better to bring out an old one than post an entirely new one--
--solomon

Slaegr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
Monster House
i feed my gator gar shrimps and pellets
but i still put some feeders in his tank for him to hunt, kinda like an exercise for him/her to expend the energy he gets from the food.
wouldn't hurt as long as you quarantine and gutload the feeders.

oshp132

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2006
N/E Ohio
I'm glad someone mentioned nightcrawlers....I just picked up a 10" fla gar on trade. It is in a 220 and I was wondering if it'd eat worms...Is it something that is natural to them, like attacking goldfish, or is it something you have to train them to do (like pellets)?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Mine don't touch nightcrawlers and they often get offered them ( one of the few things my fire eels eat and so the tank gets them approx 2x a week) The Gar has been liveing with the eels and exposed to nightcrawlers since I got it this past year. I always say Variety is the spice of life... everything Sol said about feeders is absolutely true.. though my one gar wouldn't touch anything but live feeders until he hit about 10-12" .. now he readily takes pellets as well. And his growth rate was on the high side of average compared to other YOY's

Most my fish get 40% live/frozen foods and 60% pelleted/prepared diets to balance their nutritional needs and their individual needs. I have some few stubborn exceptions to this rule. But my gar do fall into this catagory for me. I also switch what foods I feed around, paying attention to ingredient lists and quality concerns. It's fun watching my fish try new foods, and i think it helps avoid fish from randomly going off their food out of boredom with it. My gars will try anything that hits the water surface at least once.

Yourshado

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2011
Maryland
Its hard to get gar off live food while keeping five fingers, lol constantly wiggling Silverside in front his mouth is no fun, but until he gets atleast 6" he demands live food, I've had 4 gar, 3 barracuda and 3 knifefish which all with a lot of work acceptected Silverside and shrimp(clown,knives were the easiest) but I always feed them. Goldfish when I don't feel like risking my fingers, and raising fish on feeders is perfectly fine as long as you give them variety and supplements, your asking for trouble if you feed your fish just one thing. I've raised a yellow tail barracuda on goldfish from petco for 3 year. And no dieseses, as long as they eat them right away if don't think they can hurt your fish, but it is a risk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store