LM Bass Diet

Conagher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
NC
LM Bass will eat almost anything they can fit in their mouths. They dont chew at all but basically inhale their food. Their preferred fish type food are panfish, but love crayfish, insects (both adult and larval stages), baby ducks, and baby rabbits. I have seen bass come a long way from the deeper water to get a baby rabbit. The entire rabbit disappeared in single gulp.

so the mice will be a nice treat for them.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
they don't chew with their mouths, but they have a pharyngeal jaw system on the interior of their gills that DOES chew.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
wow that's a killer shot of that bass with a baby gator in his mouth, they really are a game fish.

Man I think I couldn't feed a fish live animals, it's kind of hard to watch. Fish eating fish is not big deal but a baby mouse that's kind of freaky.

And those poor ducklings.. :(

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Several times I've seen baby ducks disappear in a big swirl on my pond. Record caught fish is 14lbs, we've had a few "turn overs" that kill all large bass and I've seen many over 10lbs floating when this happens...

Filthy Sanchez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Back when I had a largemouth I gave it slugs all the time, largemouths eat a lot and it takes a lot to keep them fed. As for the mice why pinkies I fed my fuzzies and adults, even fed it a finch once. I would advise against rats unless they are pinkies as rats are fighters and will attack your fish while in the stomach. It's hard to find a consistant source of large meaty food to sustain a bass, unless you can get it to take chicken liver or beef herat chunks. There are always nightcrawlers which get pretty big as well as supersized crickets and mealworms.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Has anyone tried feeding they're fish those big green silkworms? They are about 4 inches long and 1/2 in thick. A guy who raises them was tellin me that they had the nutritional value of 3 pinkie mice. Seems like it would be a good food source.

Filthy Sanchez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Gamefishin said:
wow that's a killer shot of that bass with a baby gator in his mouth, they really are a game fish.

Man I think I couldn't feed a fish live animals, it's kind of hard to watch. Fish eating fish is not big deal but a baby mouse that's kind of freaky.

And those poor ducklings.. :(

Actually it's not that bad bass just swallow everything whole. I've seen pinkies fed to snakes, scorpions, spiders, and centipedes it's not that bad either as a snake will kill it pretty fast, and the arachnids (and centipede) poison it first. The one I couldn't watch was the giant mantis as the mouse screamed and looked like a little human being disemboweled. I had to leave the room.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
^^^ that's crazy^^^

That video on this forum with the pinky getting fed to those Oscars........I couldn't even finish the video. Don't know why I can't stand watching some of this stuff but I love watching the nature channel. You know lions killing zebras ect ect.... :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store