Loaches with American cichlids

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Hi guys, first time on this forum. I’m setting up a 200 gallon for my cousin who wants aggressive central/south American cichlids. That part I can deal with but they also want some kind of loach species. I’m not too familiar with them, do they all need to be in a school and which ones are hardy enough for this setup? They already have a green Texas cichlid. Thanks.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t know about behavioral compatibility. However, regarding water characteristics, clown loaches need lower pH and softer water than (all?) Central American cichlids. Modesta loaches accept higher pH, but not as high ca cichlids. If behaviorally is Ok, South American cichlids would be a better choice. Don’t know if other loaches.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hi guys, first time on this forum. I’m setting up a 200 gallon for my cousin who wants aggressive central/south American cichlids. That part I can deal with but they also want some kind of loach species. I’m not too familiar with them, do they all need to be in a school and which ones are hardy enough for this setup? They already have a green Texas cichlid. Thanks.
I'm not 100% certain if mixing loaches with aggressive cichlids is a good idea, but if you wanted to go the loach route, clown loaches are the best option for a 200. It gives them plenty of room to grow and be active. I would reccomend a minimum of 6 for a school, with potentially more depending on what you put in the tank. But mind you, they grow very slowly, so if you already have an adult cichlid, it may pick on/eat small ones, so try to get the largest ones you can find.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My y. Eos do well with my cichlids - but they’re with a blood parrot and sev, so not the meanest. They get a good size and spend most of the day hiding, so I wouldn’t imagine cichlids having a problem with them.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
YoYo's top out at 6" - 7" inches. They aren't particularly fast growers.
Another possibility is the Skunk Loach. The Skunks are a tough smaller Loach that top out between 4" - 5" inches. The Skunks used to be fairly popular, but seem to be somewhat forgotten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store