Local Fish Store/Chain Store Red Texas - Red Texas or Kamfa Flowerhorn?

TheGinge5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
So how does PETSMART and Seagrest get away with selling these fish as RT??
I mean i know they are selling the fish cheap(6.99 at mine) but that should be the first clue they are not actually RT and if its not isnt that false advertising/misrepresenting a product??
If they are Fh why not sell them as such??
The whole thing kinda blows my mind and really bothers me...

BrynMichael

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
fatfrogs.7.forumer.com
I also just started noticing these at the Petsmarts around Seattle. Each time I go the tanks are empty, just waiting to see what they happen to bring in. My old petsmarts in MN would often sell very low grade FH as jack dempsey or even red devil/midas.
I would agree to an extent that this is some form of false advertisement, however I much doubt Petsmart knows even what a normal unfaded RT looks like.
As far as being able to recognize a specific strain, good luck. I can say for sure that it can be nearly impossible at times. Biggest factor is that FH are a melting pot of many different species and genus of fish. Trying to figure out which traits are dominant is your best bet. Check this thread to get an idea of what I'm talking about and see just some of the many variations our great cichlid hybrids take.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?229114-All-Hybrids-that-I-can-find-on-MFK

drewby23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2012
Mobile, AL
This is my Petsmart "red Texas". They said he was the last one this region was getting. Any potential? He's only 2 inches now.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Sometimes ill buy the crappy ugly things labled as red texas just so they get a new shipment in. They have to sell out before ordering more. They have this one vieja thing that has been there fore maybe 6-8 months that just wont sell that came in as a red texas at 1". The dang thing just wont sell and its like 6-7" but they cant order new flowerhorns until it sells as they have now priced it as the $25 flowerhorn which is never going to sell.

Rambling....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Are people still finding classic kamfas in these tanks?
Everything my local Petsmarts has been carrying these really bland muts that I can't quite figure out what they are. I think the well is running dry.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Everything my local Petsmarts has been carrying these really bland muts that I can't quite figure out what they are. I think the well is running dry.
Yup yup. I keep buying those ugly mutts to see if something better comes next and its always these ugly tiny flowerhorns. Although one time they had a fader so i keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Alfredo05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2013
new jersey
I got these guys at petland and honestly they look better then s fh i bought online for 2x as much...niob mistake.
The bigger one they had it named as red texas the other just FH
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1369971125424.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store