Local Fish Store/Chain Store Red Texas - Red Texas or Kamfa Flowerhorn?

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
Within the last year chain store like Petsmart and local fish stores that are supplied by Segrest Farm have started selling Red Texas Cichlids. Some of these are indeed Red Texas Cichlids but most of them are in fact a strain of Kamfa Flowerhorn Cichlid. This strain of Kamfa has been dubbed PK Flowerhorn, the PK being "Petsmart Kamfa" for short since the majority of them come from Petsmart.

There is a large variety on how these Kamfa looks like but they are have a few very similar features:
* Nearly all of them have yellow eyes, although some have red eyes when they are very small
* They have a Vieja like head shape
* They have a more solid flower line and caudal eye

Here are examples of this strain Kamfa Flowerhorn

Here is an example of actual Red Texas from these stores

You can also find various examples of these Kamfa Flowerhorn here
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...956-Official-Petsmart-Kamfa-Flowerhorn-Thread
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?472668-Kamfa-Progression-Thread

Reactions: netterpro01

AConrad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2011
Florida
I have a few of these myself. The fish store I work for, we have just started ordering them. So I've picked out the best of the bunches! I have 10 so far. I know I have atleast two different strains from the same thing theyre selling, so I figure two different pairs they had trying to make "red texas"

lilpendragon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2012
South Florida
There is an actual red texas in at my local PetSmart in the red texas tank amongst at the PK. I'd buy, but I don't have the room.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Johnnylightning

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
North Carolina
There is an actual red texas in at my local PetSmart in the red texas tank amongst at the PK. I'd buy, but I don't have the room.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I would make room. I have one that I picked up and looking for more.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Johnnylightning

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2012
North Carolina
Yours isnt a red texas though
That picture of yours isn't either I ordered mine from venue explaining to me yours is a flower/Texas cichlid mix. Only a Texas cichlid male with red devil female works because male red devils would kill the Texas cichlid female before mating due to aggression.

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
That picture of yours isn't either I ordered mine from venue explaining to me yours is a flower/Texas cichlid mix. Only a Texas cichlid male with red devil female works because male red devils would kill the Texas cichlid female before mating due to aggression.

Lolwut? Flowerhorn can be and is used in some strains of Red Texas. I don't know who you get your information from but its not right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store