locked Happy forum

davao

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
I came across this thread while surfing the internet and came across this thread. Can someone share their thoughts about how an non confrontational thread like this can be locked without even getting the first response? How do we get new information and learn? This puzzle me, are most internets like this? just curious.
below is copy and paste:

Fish food weight comparison
by hagonoy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:38 pm

I was following this thread, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=402178

I went to Petco (prior to the thread being locked)and bought several brands of fish food, but unable to post it.
Since I already spent the money, I might as well post the finding as a public service. Over packing by 20% is not a common practice by major fish food companies.

NLS said “ We do not exaggerate to sell our products”. 125 g (listed on the label) actually weigh about 150 g. Their statement is true. Other should chime in their finding as well.

Aqueon Shrimp Pellets Listed Nt Wt. 92g. Actual Nt Wt, 96g. Container wt 24g. 4 g.extra 4.3%
TretraMin Tropical Listed Nt.Wt. 34g. Actual Nt.Wt. 36g. Container wt,10g. 2 g.extra 5.8%
Hikari Sinking wafer Listed Nt.Wt. 25g. Actual Nt.Wt. 25g. Pouch wt. 3g. 0 g.extra 0%
Omega Mini pellets Listed Nt. Wt.50g. Actual NT.Wt 52g. Container wt.17g. 2 g.extra 4%
NLS All purpose Listed Nt. Wt.60g Actual Nt.Wt. 84g. Container wt.14g. 24 g.extra 40%

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Different forums different rules... so can't answer that question...

Now onto the weight, i guess they add extra because they also account for weight loss through loss of moisture, so better to add a bit more so if moisture disperses, they don't lose too much weight when it starts to dry if not sealed properly???

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I came across this thread while surfing the internet and came across this thread. Can someone share their thoughts about how an non confrontational thread like this can be locked without even getting the first response? How do we get new information and learn? This puzzle me, are most internets like this? just curious.
below is copy and paste:

Fish food weight comparison
by hagonoy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:38 pm

I was following this thread, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=402178

I went to Petco (prior to the thread being locked)and bought several brands of fish food, but unable to post it.
Since I already spent the money, I might as well post the finding as a public service. Over packing by 20% is not a common practice by major fish food companies.

NLS said “ We do not exaggerate to sell our products”. 125 g (listed on the label) actually weigh about 150 g. Their statement is true. Other should chime in their finding as well.

Aqueon Shrimp Pellets Listed Nt Wt. 92g. Actual Nt Wt, 96g. Container wt 24g. 4 g.extra 4.3%
TretraMin Tropical Listed Nt.Wt. 34g. Actual Nt.Wt. 36g. Container wt,10g. 2 g.extra 5.8%
Hikari Sinking wafer Listed Nt.Wt. 25g. Actual Nt.Wt. 25g. Pouch wt. 3g. 0 g.extra 0%
Omega Mini pellets Listed Nt. Wt.50g. Actual NT.Wt 52g. Container wt.17g. 2 g.extra 4%
NLS All purpose Listed Nt. Wt.60g Actual Nt.Wt. 84g. Container wt.14g. 24 g.extra 40%
if it's the forum I think it is, the owner is a douchenozzle. Weirdest dictator rent-a-cop Admin ever. Totally lets the power go to his head. You can see there virtually no active members on that forum for a good reason. not sure which site though, there a couple w/ the same name almost and they all seem to copy each other

Last edited:

davao

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
Come to think of it. Is it because some company sponsors might get up set about the comparison?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just sticking my head in for a minute from work but wanted to add, I was a mod on that forum way back in a previous lifetime, and later banned because I outed a few different fish food manufacturers for various things, and yes some were sponsors, others were potential sponsors. Some sites protect their paying sponsors more than others. Some are just overly touchy feely.

As far as adding extra food to cover moisture loss, that would never be the case. All dry food is dried, and sealed tight before it leaves the manufacturer. Some might add extra just because they want to ensure that the customer is never getting less than what they paid for, same reason why some post slightly underrated protein levels on their container. It's good insurance for when the boogey man pokes around when food enters the State or Country. All pet foods are randomly checked by Govt. agencies. If you state minimum 40% protein, there had better be a min of 40% protein in the food, or your food could get turned back at the border, or face fines etc. No one will ever complain if it is several points higher - ditto to the weight.

I mostly feed NLS, so interesting weight comparison. I also feed some NF, so got a chuckle out of the preservative comments in that thread. Every fish food contains preservatives. This is the kind of thing that used to get me in trouble on cichlid forum. Some people would rather live in denial I guess? If a food contains SA krill meal, it contains ethoxyquin - I didn't realize that NF was promoting their food as ethoxyquin free? That's funny.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store