Longfin bichir at LFS today

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
reptileguy2727;822935; said:
It looks exactly like the one in the posted pic. I can't stand LF fish, so I won't buy it.
this isnt just an LF fish... this is quite a rare fish... just buy it! even if its just to make us jealous...

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
How much have people paid for them when they bought them?

spoofsjsc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Marikina, Philippines
Does this condition occur naturally in the wild? Coz for the longest time, I've been thinking of them as "artificial" bichirs (meaning they're condition was a result of human intervention). Anyone please share some info. Thanks!

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
The human intervention would be captive breeding for most LF fish. It does not require human intervention directly causing the LF. But LF is not good in the wild, so as with albinism, it may occur every once in a while, but since it is so bad for the animal, they don't (in general) end up getting big enough to pass their genes on.

C00K

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
New York
I'd buy it if I had the chance...in a heartbeat. It's not how MUCH one would pay, it's if someone had the CHANCE to buy one.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
Yes, but it is not a fish I want at all, even if it was given to me. If I could resell it for more money I would not hesitate. I don't even like normal colored senegalus, only the albinos. So LF and normal, no thanks.

How much is it worth? It is about 6".

spoofsjsc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Marikina, Philippines
let's talk about this more! :)
My interest in this suddenly started growing. I once had the chance to buy 4! I didnt get it because i thought they were freaks. Even their external nostrils are long! while i was aware of the existence of LF sens, i thought they were overpriced hybrids with human-induced qualities and that the condition doesnt occur naturally. (Like parrots with flowerhorn skin patterns)

Being abnormal, does this mean their life expectancy is shorter? or perhaps they're more prone to illnesses? or does their abnormality stop at the fins?

wingbak48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
cali
who cares just buy it....

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
They probably do occur naturally but not to the same extent. The LF varieties are obviously selectively bred to have longer fins. It's the same way they breed bettas, guppies, veil tail oscars and even breeds of dogs. To get these long fins they would have to inbred or line bred them. When you start inbreeding, some unnecessary traits would also come out. What was once recessive becomes dominant gene. What kind of other abnormalities they have we won't really know since they are only starting to become more available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store