Longnose gar information

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Thank you all for your very informative replies! I won't get one of those gars then, for sure! If they get a different Gar, I may ask you guys again.
the spotted gar usually stays the smallest around 2ft but can get bigger, I look for them as well time to time at lfs’ but always mislabeled as alligator gars! Seems like you have a good lfs there - gl!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
2356B20B-B028-44A2-B870-FEC555B02C4F.jpeg
this is 100% a run of the mill florida gar... common price at $39 also IMO... Florida gar rarely exceed 20-24” in captivity and are probably the most “well rounded” for “normal” aquaria. They can be kept for life in a standard 220-265g 2’ width tank. They are rather placid and can cohab with other mid sized fish 8-12” range. Do not keep them with large cichlids as they may get picked on, plecos are liable to suck on their slime coats and any very small fish could b eaten. Floridas can be trained to eat a variety of prepared foods and pellets fairly easily. o.p. This is probably the perfect “starter gar” for you being mild mannered, easy to feed and most likely wont exceed 20”... I have a 15yr old florida that is maaaybe 22” at best. With ur stock list i say go for it lol... Every MFK should spend some time with these “entry level” monsters ?? ?

Reactions: Cowturtle

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
the spotted gar usually stays the smallest around 2ft but can get bigger, I look for them as well time to time at lfs’ but always mislabeled as alligator gars! Seems like you have a good lfs there - gl!
i think you are confused with florida gar...true spotted gar Lepisosteus Oculatus easily reach 24”+ in captivity and 40” in the wild. Great tip tho, reg. Floridas are quite often labeled as “gators” at the LFS... True spotteds are seldom kept/available here in the states. Much more popular over seas surprisingly even tho its one of our natives...

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
i think you are confused with florida gar...true spotted gar Lepisosteus Oculatus easily reach 24”+ in captivity and 40” in the wild. Great tip tho, reg. Floridas are quite often labeled as “gators” at the LFS... True spotteds are seldom kept/available here in the states. Much more popular over seas surprisingly even tho its one of our natives...
? still learning lol how come true Florida’s aren’t around in the hobby? I generally only see alligators for sale, even online. The fact I can see a platinum around every corner and not a Florida seems ridiculous lol

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
? still learning lol how come true Florida’s aren’t around in the hobby? I generally only see alligators for sale, even online. The fact I can see a platinum around every corner and not a Florida seems ridiculous lol
All good man, u shared some good info with ur 1st post of pics. Got the “is it even a real gar” bit outta the way lol... IMO Floridas are the most readily available? Lol... most online shops these days are higher end i guess so there offering whats usually not in a LFS i.e. floridas... im also an old timer tho... florida gar were a staple in mom n pop lfs... and even petsuppliesplus back in the late 90’s-early 2000’s... seems there still around at LFS like normal based on the O.P... typical as u said, reg. Florida marked as “gator or longnose” tho...

not sure if u meant True “spotted” being available...again u got em mixed up lol... im not sure y they never really caught on or are more available. In more recent yrs there were a few members offering juvies from w/c adults and there out there if u do some digging. Main reason is probably florida gar are so readily avaiable being mass bred the spotteds just get classed into being the same fish and overlooked. theres a cple diff. Spotted variants based on location even. The spotteds are very deseriable and bred over seas. Kinda funny.

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
6BAA0072-EB3A-4F53-BABA-EDEBC37D8E77.jpeg4CB157B2-4C4F-4931-9BCC-B204C9411E6E.jpeg
species reference from the king, Solomon himself...hope this helps ?, can also check out primitivefish for reading/info...rule of thumb for “true spotted” is... if u think its a spotted in a lfs/vendor its probably a florida unless u wild caught it yourself... or know who did. Again not sure y, thats just how it goes. There slowing catching on a bit here in the states.

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
I have a Florida Gar and learned the hard way. I put a 5-6” Tiger Shovelnose Catfish in the tank and the Gar eat it. On the other hand my Florida Gar will eat imitation Crab, Frozen and cooked shrimp, bloodworms and even cheese and steak.

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
Around my area once and a very long while you will find Florida and Longnose Gar. The Florida’s are labeled Florida Gar and the Longnose Gar no one knows what type of Gar it is so they just call it a Gar. Usually find Alligator Gar and there very dark Black usually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store