Look at my tank and critique

Jeff5347

Exodon
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
OK so I'm curious on your thoughts. This is how I have my CA cichlid tank setup. Lots of rocks with caves and hiding spots. Most rocks are what I found while walking or who knows where. Some are from a Maine beach ( yes they were soaked and cleaned excessively years ago). I know CA like roots and trees and such but what are you thoughts. Should I redo with different rocks (what kind) rescale so a 3rd of the tank is sand, remove a few or make the pile higher instead of wide...or just leave as is
IMG_20170523_151050.jpg IMG_20170523_150910.jpg IMG_20170523_151036.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
It's really all preference, as long as you have enough decorations that the fish feel safe you are good. some people like pink gravel and little plastic treasure chests, some like naturalistic setups. Personally I think your tank looks great as it is

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Yup,everyone sees aquascaping different.I seem to get bored of same look after a few months.you can try rock pile to one side,then maybe add some driftwood.taller branches can help fill the upper space

Reactions: Jeff5347

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Build a sump, and get all those pipes and tubes and wires outta your tank. You could also consider some driftwood. Manzanita is good. Mopani will sink immediately. I think maybe you need something more vertical to make it look kinda balanced?

Reactions: Jeff5347

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yep, it's all preference as long as it functions well for your fish.
I'm always tweaking things in my tanks. Every water change something is getting moved. Usually just moving plants my fish uproot because she doesn't like it's location.

Jeff5347

Exodon
MFK Member
May 13, 2017
Oh its functional. They love hiding lol. Wish they would be out a little more. That's why I was think of having a pile more offset and having an open area to swim. I agree on getting alot of the hoses and junk out. I have a canister and 2 hob. An aq 110 and a quietflow I use for biofiltration w lava rocks and pothos. I was thinking on driftwood or at least branches but don't wanna deal with tannins or rotting wood. Anyone know of good fake lifelike branches. Maybe they may like hanging out there

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Oh its functional. They love hiding lol. Wish they would be out a little more. That's why I was think of having a pile more offset and having an open area to swim. I agree on getting alot of the hoses and junk out. I have a canister and 2 hob. An aq 110 and a quietflow I use for biofiltration w lava rocks and pothos. I was thinking on driftwood or at least branches but don't wanna deal with tannins or rotting wood. Anyone know of good fake lifelike branches. Maybe they may like hanging out there
Use dead oak,beech hawthorn or apple tree branches.They take years to rot.
You may get some tannins at first but this lessons over time.
Give your fish cover from above.
Floating plants or branches fixes to the tanks brace bars will help them feel more confident. They can also help hide equipment.

Reactions: Jeff5347 and dan518
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store