Looking at converting fish room over to linear air pump filters

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
As far as the bottle of K1 goes...you will wind up with a large bulky filter. A single piece of foam that takes up the same space as the foam/bottle unit will put that combo gizmo to shame in terms of biofiltration, and will clog much more slowly.

You see this all the time in sumps; people assemble all kinds of partitions and compartments and fill each one with some different form of bio filtration. They look impressive...maybe...but what's the point? Who cares how a filter looks? Pick the biomedia you think is best, and then just use as much as you have room for. If you are actually worried about the cost of foam, I must assume you haven't bothered to check the cost of boutique media like K1.

Poret foam is quite rigid, but will eventually start to collapse if simply jammed across the end of a tank as a Mattenfilter and then allowed to get too clogged up. Wasting your time and effort to silicone in some sort of frame will not really help much here, unless you actually support the entire area of the foam with a sheet of eggcrate or something similar. It's much easier to simply cut a few strips of the foam to act as spacers or stand-offs between the end of the tank and the sheet of Poret. They hold the foam in place, maintaining the necessary space behind it, and yet can be removed in seconds without leaving any permanent mods to the tank itself.
The reasoning I see to use K1 in this scenario is because it has a very long service interval. Aside from a box filter I'm not sure of any other air driven filters that have both mechanical and separate biological media's. I always look at ways to make this hobby easier. Usually when using air driven I chuck form out the window and focus on function. They are all noticeable and don't look natural. So the bottle with k1 isn't an issue imo. Alot of people who use them say they are oddly satisfying to look at aswell.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The reasoning I see to use K1 in this scenario is because it has a very long service interval. Aside from a box filter I'm not sure of any other air driven filters that have both mechanical and separate biological media's. I always look at ways to make this hobby easier. Usually when using air driven I chuck form out the window and focus on function. They are all noticeable and don't look natural. So the bottle with k1 isn't an issue imo. Alot of people who use them say they are oddly satisfying to look at aswell.
Sure, the cute little bouncy widgets are virtually maintenance-free...but the stubby little sponge filter underneath them is flowing essentially the same amount of water through its petite volume that would be pumping through a much larger sponge if that's what were being used. The bigger chunk of sponge has the water moving through it more slowly, and clogs up much more gradually than the little one...so the maintenance interval for the big sponge is much longer than that for the small one. While you are busy squeezing and rinsing the little sponge over and over you won't get any comfort from the fact that the K1 pieces don't need any attention.

Satisfying to look at? Yep, they are that; I have a large quantity of them swirling gracefully in my big sump...but they are there only because I got them for nothing, and my granddaughters love to watch them. Otherwise, I wouldn't give them a second look.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Sure, the cute little bouncy widgets are virtually maintenance-free...but the stubby little sponge filter underneath them is flowing essentially the same amount of water through its petite volume that would be pumping through a much larger sponge if that's what were being used. The bigger chunk of sponge has the water moving through it more slowly, and clogs up much more gradually than the little one...so the maintenance interval for the big sponge is much longer than that for the small one. While you are busy squeezing and rinsing the little sponge over and over you won't get any comfort from the fact that the K1 pieces don't need any attention.

Satisfying to look at? Yep, they are that; I have a large quantity of them swirling gracefully in my big sump...but they are there only because I got them for nothing, and my granddaughters love to watch them. Otherwise, I wouldn't give them a second look.
the beauty about the standard sponge is they generally fit into a medium size ziplock bag. once your familiar with standard sponge filters you know the top just pops off with the air line still attached. so you can pop the bottom of the unit completely off into a submerged ziplock bag so no detritus falls back into the tank. the k1 is stays in the bottle with the top of the sponge unit attached. it doesnt matter how big your sponge is. surface area means it will clog slower but the detritus is still there breaking down on that sponge. from my experience they dont clog faster then you need to do maintence anyways. the point is just to eliminate an entire process in not needing to clean the bio media at all. imo mattenfilters are more gimmicky. youll have excuses to prolong cleaning. when its time to clean your stuck with a giant sponge thats going to dump a ton of broken down materials back into the tank when you try to pull it out. but to each there own.

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
I run all 8 of my tanks under 55 gallons off of air just using UGFs and box filters in combination (my 2 nano tanks just use UGFs). Basic box filter is $7-$8 on amazon and you can usually find deals for 4 packs and such that get them lower (I think I got 4 for $25 last year).
Air pumps are never nearly as powerful as they claim in my experience. Go big.

Last edited:

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I run all 8 of my tanks under 55 gallons off of air just using UGFs and box filters in combination (my 2 nano tanks just use UGFs). Basic box filter is $7-$8 on amazon and you can usually find deals for 4 packs and such that get them lower (I think I got 4 for $25 last year).
Air pumps are never nearly as powerful as they claim in my experience. Go big.
UGF are starting to grow on me again. Aquascape assisting in them making a comeback. kinda wana set a giant one up on the 320 just for science purposes lol

Reactions: Iwhoopedbatman

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
are yours DIY if so got any pics?
My standard sized tanks have cheap ones off Amazon (mostly Lee's and Penn Plex if I remember right, whichever was cheaper at the time I ordered them). I DIYed the ones in my nano tanks and an odd shaped 20 gallon with light diffuser, a plastic mesh used for knitting I think (got from Michael's) and spare lift tubes from the UGFs I bought. Cut the light diffuser and mesh to fit the tank (try to get the mesh in tight to avoid stuff going around it) I used some spare suction cups to lift the light diffuser layer off the bottom, then cut a hole for the lift tube in the plastic mesh layer that goes over the light diffuser. The lift tube sits on top of the light diffuser, mesh keeps the gravel from falling through. If you want to use sand, get some weed barrier used for lawns (just make sure it's an inert one and not one with fertilizers or weed killing chemicals) and cut a top layer. The holes in that stuff are too small for sand to get through. Also, if you're worried about digging fish exposing the UGF and rendering it ineffective, put a layer of light diffuser or the plastic mesh in the substrate about an inch from the top. They won't be able to dig any deeper than that.

This is the type of mesh I used. Comes in handy for a lot of things. Very easy to cut to what you want.

Weed guard can find at any hardware/yard store. I'm not sure if this is what I used, but it came in very similar packaging. Just be sure it's just plastic with tiny holes in it. Basically a finely perforated trash bag plastic sheet.

Reactions: LukeOscar

Iwhoopedbatman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2011
Baltimore
oh, to be clear, the suction cups are sitting on the bottom, with the light diffuser on top of them, not stuck to the sides expected to hold all that weight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store