looking at dwarfs..

lach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Australia
Moving soon so i need to cut down my tank space..
Because its a shared house i need to go down to a single 50gal
Im thinking of apistogramma.
Tank is 36x18x18.
My main problem is filtration. From brief reading i hear they like slower moving water. I have use of a ac70 eheim 2215 and 2217 (with some work).
What would be best for this setup? Also lighting what do people recommend. Again reading shows they like low(ish) light with plant cover. What is classed as low lighting?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Lach

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
If doing a apisto tank I would run a mid light tank with a t5 fixture and plant it. I would also look into the tiny pikes there are two species of them and you can find some info on them in the pike section. You can do a lot with small fish in a tank that size.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
you can just diffuse the discharge to lessen the flow for teh apistos. They don't need slow water, just not turbulent

LobstersGoPeenchPeench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Iowa, United States
well in my tanks i have a 55g that has a pretty over stocked list but i recently just got a apisto. first time my lfs has gotten them before it said it was a bolenii or whatever but turns out its a hybrid type caused by vendors called a "blue steel" its pretty but they arent very aggresive at all hes in the tank with:
5x hrp (1 pair, the male is like 3" the female is about 1.5" and the rest are a little bigger than her)
1x crenicichla comprisscep ( 2.5" and hes absolutly stunning)
1x curvicep 2"
2x juli cories (1" each)
1x south american bumble bee catfish (about 2.5" last time i saw him and its a dwarf catfish i call him my mini rtc because he eats like one and has the same body style)
1x apisto "blue steel" ( 2" )
1x oto for my algea (get them for ur algea in your tank because they stay tiny)
1x panda cory cat 3"

but anyways so as u can see its pretty stocked but its not to crowded just when the pair of hrp's have their fry they take over a third of the tank. but i am moving my fish around once i get my light working for my 29g.
but anyways u could keep alot of them in a 50g tank but what i would do if i were u just make sure u have very clean water and use your detoxifier on your tap water.
and the whole fast water thing just make sure its not like a river and ull be fine like on both of my tanks i have hang on the back 30-60's one is a emporer 330. but to keep your water really oxigenated i would have it heavily planted and all of the different type of apisto's vary for the most part but they are kinda fragile but from what i have read they are not as hard to care for as german blue rams .

sorry i couldnt give you more info but im just kinda ranting and throwing some ideas out for ya. personally i like my little dwarfs.

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
First off msjinkzd your avatar how did you find that photo of me JK.

There are so many options. Do you like earth eatter the bolviana rams is a dwarf geo and likes to be kept with others B rams. They are so cute I have 2 I want more. Acaras are a good pick for dwarf Here are a list of my fav dwarf cichlids.

There are so many fish to pick from checkerboard cichlids. The Laetacaranfamily has a few cute fish.

I love dwarf cichilds. Here is what I would stock for a 55 gal.

3 or 5 bolviana rams the males do get a little nasty to each other nothing bad.
1 Laetacara dorsigerus "Smiling Acara"
1 keyhole cichlid
1 BN pleco
6 panda Cory cats
6 neon tetras

lach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Australia
def doing aspisto
probs be 4 A. Agassizii, 6 cory melini and shoal of neons
For light what 2 t5ho globes?

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
T5ho globes? If you get the bulbs in the right spectrum 2 should be fine for a 18 inch tank. I run CFL but wish I could afford t5's. What is the wattage on the bulb size you are looking at?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store