Looking better but won't eat: Texas w/duck lips columnaris

FishyCarChick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Lake Ariel, PA
We moved the Texas with Duck Lip into a sterile bare bottom hospital tank and added 2tsp of salt per gallon and Furan 2 as well as getting the tank temp down close to 70 degrees and he started looking much better within hours.

We are 42 hours into the Furan 2 and salt treatment and he looks pretty good but he is still sitting pretty much still and refusing food.

Our biggest concern at this point is his refusal to eat, he's gone about five days without food so we are really getting scared. Would diaphania help? Is there anything we can do?

This guy is one of my two most beloved fishies, but we don't have a vet we can take him to so we have to do what we can ourselves.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
We moved the Texas with Duck Lip into a sterile bare bottom hospital tank and added 2tsp of salt per gallon and Furan 2 as well as getting the tank temp down close to 70 degrees and he started looking much better within hours.

We are 42 hours into the Furan 2 and salt treatment and he looks pretty good but he is still sitting pretty much still and refusing food.

Our biggest concern at this point is his refusal to eat, he's gone about five days without food so we are really getting scared. Would diaphania help? Is there anything we can do?

This guy is one of my two most beloved fishies, but we don't have a vet we can take him to so we have to do what we can ourselves.
5 days is nothing, start worrying nearer the two week mark; even then some would say that's still "fine", bigger fish can fast for surprising lengths of time

Reactions: FishyCarChick

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania

I'm not sure if this was suggested to you or not but I would also add kanamycin in with the furan 2. They, as a combination medication, have been proven to completely clear columnaris from commercial fish farms. I've used the combo and it does indeed work well.

Also 5 days is nothing for a fish, they can go months without food and never bat an eye at it.

Reactions: FishyCarChick

FishyCarChick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Lake Ariel, PA
I'm not sure if this was suggested to you or not but I would also add kanamycin in with the furan 2. They, as a combination medication, have been proven to completely clear columnaris from commercial fish farms. I've used the combo and it does indeed work well.

Also 5 days is nothing for a fish, they can go months without food and never bat an eye at it.
Kanamycin, is kanaplex, correct?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
he can go sometime without eating. Otherwise you can tube feed him. there are actually some decent videos on youtube demonstrating this.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Man, what a bummer. My favorite fh got the same thing. I hope it works out for you. Fyi, my fh went at least a month without taking food. I did use a feeding syringe with bloodworms to help him with nutrition.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Add a couple live guppies,my green sunfish would,not eat for 3 weeks after he broke his back,so I divided my guppy tank,and put him on one side ,a bunch of guppies wandered over and he started eating them in about 10-15 seconds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store