Looking for 2nd opinion...

What do you think? Swim Bladder disorder or Air Trapped?

• Swim Bladder disorder

• Air Trapped inside stomach

• Not sure?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Okay, so at first i was thinking my puffer had some kind of swim bladder issue due to her sitting at the bottom of the tank belly side up but breathing properly (this was 48hrs ago)...

24hrs ago, i gave her a epsom salt dip coz cant add salt to my planted tank...

This morning after netting her and exmaining her closely again, im suspecting she either has a swim bladder disprder or maybe even an air bubble trapped inside her stomach???

I’ve attched photos for you all to look at and see what you think...

Coz if you look at the right side of her stomach, it almost looks like an air bubble trapped inside since it protrudes a bit more than the left and is more translucent...

D1CB8AD4-071C-40AF-A5EF-B8D265784276.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay, so at first i was thinking my puffer had some kind of swim bladder issue due to her sitting at the bottom of the tank belly side up but breathing properly (this was 48hrs ago)...

24hrs ago, i gave her a epsom salt dip coz cant add salt to my planted tank...

This morning after netting her and exmaining her closely again, im suspecting she either has a swim bladder disprder or maybe even an air bubble trapped inside her stomach???

I’ve attched photos for you all to look at and see what you think...

Coz if you look at the right side of her stomach, it almost looks like an air bubble trapped inside since it protrudes a bit more than the left and is more translucent...

View attachment 1354429

Looks like trapped air but don't know for sure.

Reactions: Fat Homer

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like trapped air but don't know for sure.
Looks like it. Can be certain. Could you massage out w/o causing internal damage?Other option is get a bucket. Add a little clove oil (0.5ml per g) and insert a needle. Can use a insulin needle since the fish is small. Stages of anesthesia in the video below.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Looks like it. Can be certain. Could you massage out w/o causing internal damage?Other option is get a bucket. Add a little clove oil (0.5ml per g) and insert a needle. Can use a insulin needle since the fish is small. Stages of anesthesia in the video below.

I could try the massage method which i’ve done before on larger puffers to see if that works...

As for the hypodermic needle method im not so certain about, even though i do have all the necessary materials here... guess as an absolute last resort i could consider going that route, although seems a bit scary tbh...

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store