Looking for ideas 125 gallon tanks

kyleallen22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2021
Houston, TX
Hey everyone getting the final stages of my new house setup now and am about to finalize the setup on my 260 cichlid “community” tank. I’ve been growing the slow growing and more peaceful fish out in a 75 gallon while moving and getting the house ready and and am at the stage now where I will be transitioning them over.

iStarted with 7 red headed tapajos Geophagus and a gold nugget pleco, added 2 EBA 2 firemouths over time and just got 6 1.5 inch severums this month that will all be transferring to the 260 gallon. After the tank is stable I also plan on adding 2 blood parrots and small school of silver dollars.

That being said fish tank fever and me being impulsive bit a little hard this week and I’ve come into possession of two 125 gallon tanks for a price I couldn’t refuse.

I have absolutely no plans for them, although I would like one of them to be planted. That being said I want to know what you the community would do! If it was your 125s what would you put in them? The only rule is one will be planted the other will be a blank slate.

Currently have my 260 cichlid community, a 10 gallon shrimp and tetra tank, and a 55 gallon quarantine. I will be turning my 75 gallon into a flowerhorn tank. I’m obviously partial to cichlids but am open to anything.

I look forward to your suggestions

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
For the planted one you could go with discus and a school of tetras . Rummynose or lemons would look cool . I'd say go with blue discus and rummy nose or of you go with red discus then go with lemons . Plenty of options for a 135 gallon plantes tank . Coukd also do 3-4 groups of tetras with cory cats and algae eaters .
As for the blank slate I'd suggest a wet pet . Maybe a festae or a smaller parachromis sp . A pair of piebald midas/middevils could also be done .
Could also do a beani pair if you're interested. I am linking a youtube video of a fellow fishkeepers tank . Start form 2:40 mark you may not understand the language ( english captions available) but you'll get an idea

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Really depends on what you want out of it.
Interactiveness, intelligence, aggression are all big factors.
If I had an open 125 I’d either get a wet pet cichlid or piranhas. That or some oddballs like polys and butterflyfish.
Puffers are another option, lots of fun species.

Crazylegs78

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2020
I've really gotten interested in cichlid community aquariums lately. Especially those with a larger centerpiece species with a group of smaller cichlids. Examples include; frontosa, gibberosa or calvus trio with a group of leleupi or brichardi, vieja species with a group of thorichthys or amatitlania species, severum or discus with a group of different color ram cichlids. I haven't done any of these yet, but I've got some 125g's on standby! For the plane tank, maybe an African peacock tank with valisneria, anubias, and Java ferns. Planted american cichlid tanks are some of my favorite. Outside of the typical planted tank inhabitants, I've had pretty good luck with electric blue Jack's in planted tanks when started young. I always come back to wild discus stains or koi/marble angels though. There's something about the growth and size of a big angelfish that I've only seen in a 125g+ aquarium.
20210926_160038.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
As someone who also owns a pair of 473 liter tanks, I can give you a good deal of recommendations (taken from 'about' in my profile).
You can feel free to mix and match the fish or change up the given amounts as long as it stays under AqAdvisor's 130% (aka: 100% for intermediate-advanced fishkeepers) and everything gets along.

In one of them, you could have:
-6x clown loach
-6x black kuhli loach
-1x pictus catfish (make sure this is spotted and not 4-line)
-1x Malawi or featherfin catfish
-1x rescue male Siamese fighting fish

In the other, you could do:
-6x Burmese loach
-3x weather loach
-6x yoyo loach
-6x zebra loach
-6x striped kuhli loach
-6x roseline shark
-1x red tail shark
-12x tiger barb

Hope these suggestions work for you!